Flat Backed it Saturday and Sunday...

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
Oh yes, I flat backed it all weekend, rain or shine. Hopefully I will never have to do it again.

I am moving back to the land of the emissions nazis and needed to get rid of my LongTubes and my off road X pipe. So I embarked on my project of getting the car up in the air, removing the longtubes and installing 03/04 Cobra manifolds (makes no difference I know) and the stock mid-pipe.

Doing a little forensic studying, I noticed that my longtubes were never really installed correctly from the beginning and thus my reasoning for loving the power, but hating the leaks. The gaskets (felpro) showed signs of exhaust leaks on all but 2 ports. Some of the bolts were loose and the rattles drove me nuts.

Looks like the fellas that helped me put them on were in a rush and just wanted this nightmare of a job overwith.

I am proud to report that since I did every single step myself, I have zero leaks, and everything fits perfectly. I miss the sound and the power but I don't miss me grinding my teeth because of annoying little things.

Not much of a story, but I got it done and I am happy.

:coolman:

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
Definately! Its made a world of difference as far as drivablity. Next mod is 3.90s though and I will have to pull the pumpkin. Ugh.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Where are you moving to if you don't mind me asking? I know here in Colorado we can generally get away with long tubes.

As long as there are catalytic converters in place, the computer isn't throwing codes and the sniffer test is past we're good to go.

Alas it's also the reason I'll probably go with bassani mid-lengths over true longtubes.

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
Torch10th said:
Where are you moving to if you don't mind me asking? I know here in Colorado we can generally get away with long tubes.

As long as there are catalytic converters in place, the computer isn't throwing codes and the sniffer test is past we're good to go.

Alas it's also the reason I'll probably go with bassani mid-lengths over true longtubes.

San Diego, California. They are a big :nono: . I was planning on staying where I am at now where I could get away with them forever, but I managed to decide to move back. I am sick of the south and how they don't like us westerners. Its differences in business philosopy that gets me down here. I hate the good ol' boys mentality.

Are the Bassani MidLengths 50 state legal?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The only mid-pipe that is legal in california is the stock mid-pipe. So technically no. Ironically I think they are CARB certified though...

My area of study might someday land me in the peoples republic of california...not really looking forward to that day.

Last edited:

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
Torch10th said:
The only mid-pipe that is legal in california is the stock mid-pipe. So technically no. Ironically I think they are CARB certified though...

My area of study might someday land me in the peoples republic of california...not really looking forward to that day.

I am fairly reluctant to move back, but I must. Family and business obligations require me to. There is a ton more opportunity there though.

I figure I am going to have to focus on other ways of making power. Unfortunately they are going to be expensive and internal. (Cams, porting, Big Bore, etc) But this car will get its fair share of suspension equipment too and then I can run around Palomar like a mad man!

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Be carefull with cams. There are a lot of them out there that will not enable a car to pass emissions.

There's no reason you couldn't do a blowever however. It's pre emissions system and especially during an emissions test should not cause the car to fail emissions.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
My sympathies on moving back to CA. We left the Left Coast about 26 years ago and really don't miss it (I am a rare 3rd generation Californian). Retired now and living in West, by God, Virginia. BTW, I think you found out what many of us have found out on non-stock exhaust gaskets - they really don't last. The stock metal ones work, by far, the best. I installed headers on my 5.0 using those cheesy paper gaskets and they lasted lasted like 2 months. Once I put the stocks back on, no problems.

The JBA shorties may be CARB legal, I'm not sure. Bob Cosby, NMRA Factory Stock Champ a couple of years ago, found he made the most HP with those even over long tubes. And, he dyno'd everything to see what was making HP and what was not. So, it's a possibility.

Good luck on everything.

01yellercobra

Established Member
JBA's are smog legal. I know a couple guys out here that are running them. The mid lengths are not legal since they can't use the stock mid-pipe.

UGAcobra

Established Member
slo984now said:
JBA's are smog legal. I know a couple guys out here that are running them. The mid lengths are not legal since they can't use the stock mid-pipe.

In Kalifonia is there not a certain mileage after which replacing the cats with newer units not an issue? Here in GA if you are over 50k or you have damage to the cats requiring their replacement you are welcome to swap to another catted exhaust system as long as you still pass the tests. Of course my cats just happened to be damaged on a speed bump around 10k mi, hehe. ;-) I know cali's laws are stringent but there must be some way around it?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Colorado is the same way.

Even with CARB certification I beleive regardless of age or miles driven the only mid-pipe that is legal in that state is the stock unit.

Users who are viewing this thread