Flat Head Fords

robs400

Established Member
Looking for some input on flat head fords. My grandfather has a 47 ford dump truck
grampsdumptruck.gif

He still uses it quite a bit however it does not like to start up on damp days....which is inherent to the 6V ignition system that it has in it. I have tried doing some research to see if I could buy something to help him out and I foudn a place in Texas that takes the OEM distributor and fits it with Pertronix parts (eliminates the points) and would include a new coil distributor cap, and wires for under 400 shipped.

Anyone have any experience with this? Like I told the guy on the phone, I'm not looking to make a hot rod, just somethign that will start without having to drag a 12V battery out to the barn everytime he wants to start it when its raining.

jrc347

Established Member
You can buy the same electronic ignition parts from discount auto, or autozone for a fraction of the price. It's not hard to rebuild the dizzy with these parts, although I have not done it to my flatty yet. Also check into a 12v conversion. There is alot of info on the web about doing this. 6v positive ground systems are the worst as far as I'm concerned. Let us know how it goes.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Try early ford parts or dennis carpenter. You should be able to get it done cheaper than that. Flat heads are good motors but the points ignition system in them sucks. My dad's got several cars with them in it and when they are right, they run great, but just a little off and they are worthless.

Users who are viewing this thread