Flex Fuel tunes now available thru AED:

Shaun@AED

AED now offers Flex Fuel tuning for 2013/14 GT500's.

Flex fuel tunes work via Ford OE Logic based on the front O2 sensors to determine the Ethanol content of fuel after a fill-up of 3 gallons or more. It is extremely important no exhaust leaks are present when flex fuel tunes are used.

After an increase of 3 gallons or more is detected the ECU monitors Fuel trims at part throttle between roughly 1000 and 2500RPM.
Based on the Front O2 trim data the ECU will adjust the tune for the new Ethanol blend in the tank.
If you monitor Air Fuel (via factory track pack gauge or aftermarket) you can watch the Stoich change as the ECU learns the Ethanol content.

*NOTE* Ford did not complete Flex Fuel programming on most Mustang Calibrations. Although much of the fueling changes were completed, Spark strategy changes based on Ethanol do not work properly in the 13/14 GT500 calibrations.
As such we are disabling Spark changes for Ethanol and will be including 2 Flex fuel tunes:
1 with Gasoline ignition timing
1 with Ethanol ignition timing (Race).

It is important to know the difference as running the tune with High or 'Race' ignition timing on gasoline will result in severe engine damage.
To minimize to potential for engine damage all tunes with 'Race' ignition timing for E85 will have Traction contorl / Advance track disabled. This 'Race' tune will show warning lights on the dash for ABS/TC/Advance track and will clue in the driver that the Race tune with high ignition timing is currently programmed and they should be running E85.
The Performance Flex Fuel tune will have Traction control/advance track enabled like stock and have an ignition timing curve for pump gas. Gains on this tune with E85 are still significant over gasoline.

In those applications where pump gas is not a safe option (tuner discretion) but a driveable tune on gasoline is desired we can either write a tune for Race gas, pump+torco, or limit power at WOT via other changes which is simply to clue in the driver that they should not be racing the vehicle on pump gas.

*NOTE* When Keep Alive Memory (KAM) is cleared the vehicle may experience a hard start until the ECU learns the Ethanol content of the fuel.

For reference on what we deem too much for pump gas: Any setup that shows knock in data logs with more than 16 degrees ignition timing peak at WOT.

All customers currently tuned on E85 with AED will receive Flex Fuel tunes at no charge upon request till the end of March (end of 1st quarter).

New customer pricing is $400 for remote/email tuning on Gasoline and E85 (flex fuel) and will include 2 tunes:
Performance Flex Fuel Tune
Race Flex Fuel Tune

*NOTE* There are a few modifications necessary to run E85 on a stock/mild bolt on GT500:

1. An Ethanol rated fuel filter. The stock Cellulose fuel filter should not be used with E85. We do have Ethanol rated cleanable fuel filters in stock that mount in the stock location with a very minor modification.

2. Larger injectors are also required for E85. We highly recommend Injector Dynamics.

3. Stock 13/14 GT500 fuel pumps need a BAP to run Ethanol. We recommend the JMS Plug and play that is throttle activated. The JMS dialed in at 20volts + stock GT500 pumps will be around 85% duty cycle on a 750RWHP application.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
This is awesome to hear. I have been asking about this since I bought my 2013.

Nickoli

Established Member
I'd love to run flex fuel like the GM guys but I would not be comfortable in my o2's figuring out the level of ethanol. I wish ford used an inline sensor so tune would be adjusted before it ran through the engine.

Shaun@AED

That was a interesting video. I never new that about the Flex Fuel sensors.

Honestly, I did not know how those sensors worked either till I saw that video. We've installed a few over the years in customers cars.

Makes me believe (yet again) Ford Engineers have been a step ahead of the competition for years as the strategy to use O2 data is more accurate (assuming no exhaust leaks).

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly, I did not know how those sensors worked either till I saw that video. We've installed a few over the years in customers cars.

Makes me believe (yet again) Ford Engineers have been a step ahead of the competition for years as the strategy to use O2 data is more accurate (assuming no exhaust leaks).

I hear yeah. So are you guys ok with tuning kenne bell 168mm mono blade throttle bodys? I have been wanting to do a flex fuel tune for awhile now.

Shaun@AED

I hear yeah. So are you guys ok with tuning kenne bell 168mm mono blade throttle bodys? I have been wanting to do a flex fuel tune for awhile now.

The last KB MonoBlade I tuned we had to replace the throttle stop spring with a stock unit as the KB one was too weak causing Throttle body codes. Of course when the customer contacted KB about it they told him only 1 tuner could tune those TB's, but with the spring change we had no issues. I've seen some KB TB's that have a hard stop rather than spring loaded. Those units I do not tune.

Users who are viewing this thread