flooded engine

simpman

game artist
Established Member
flooded engine (update)

This sucks...
So last night on my way home from Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu, I got caught in what I will say the worst rain downpour I've ever had to drive in. I could barely see and didn't know the rain had flooded a section of the road so fast. Long story short, I have a CAI and I flooded my engine. The tow truck guy said that i may just be a case of the computer shutting off to protect the engine, if so then it's reasonably simple to fix. I guess the worst case is a screwed up engine. I hope my insurance covers that, if not I'm screwed. How much money do our engines run anyways???

:cryying: :cryying: :cryying:

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
you can get a new crate motor for around 6000. swapping them runs a bit of money too. depends on the place.

my best advice right now?

pull the sparkplugs and turn the engine over. water will most likely shoot out of the spark plug holes.

then let it dry, change the oil, new plugs and then thry starting it.

simpman

game artist
Established Member
Ya, the cars at the shop. So hopefully they'll do all that.

$6000 huh, I sure hope my insurance covers it if it comes to that. Damn!

simpman

game artist
Established Member
Can you get a new SVT engines since our engines are built by hand by 2 people? If so would my Cobra number change???

simpman

game artist
Established Member
Bad news, just heard from the shop. Snapped a connection rod and engine is caput. NOW WHAT? Can someone lead me in the right direction?

kaos

Established Member
Damn, I'm really sorry to hear that. I really didn't think a CAI would really do that. People say it will, but I didn't think it would happen.

simpman

game artist
Established Member
Originally posted by omslaw
Damn, I'm really sorry to hear that. I really didn't think a CAI would really do that. People say it will, but I didn't think it would happen.

Ya, I'll think twice before I put a CAI on ever again. Looks like I won't be getting those rims and tires (from the other thread) after all.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Oh man, that sucks. Sorry about that simpman.

I've heard that it could happen but never new of anyone that it had happened to. You must have sucked in quite a bit of water to get it to hyrdro-lock ike that.

How did they determine the engine is dead? I assume the debris got into the crank and screwed other things up?

simpman

game artist
Established Member
Well, I couldn't see very good and the rain came out of no where and it was a bottom of a hill. It was really the worst rain I have ever driven in. I found out afterwards that the drain was blocked by plastic as well. When we got out to push the car the water was pretty deep, I was surprised. Not to help matters my car is pretty low. There were other cars flooded out on that road too.
I'm not exactly sure what the shop did to determine what happened. They just called and said it's bad, the connection rods snapped and and the engine is scr*wed.

I have to say that the cops really helped me a lot. My opionion of them changed. They were really nice. Good guys. And some YMCA kids on a bus stopped and helped me push my car. That was real cool of them.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Yeah, but maybe you should consider seeing if you can find a used 03 engine or get a forged shortblock. Are the heads and valvetrain jacked up too? If not, then a forged shortblock might be just what the Dr. ordered. Then you can spray or blow the hell out of it!

Probably cost the same too - you might check the corral and ask Al (Boss330) or Turbo54 about it.

kaos

Established Member
Maybe I'm being naive here, but could you just buy one of those nice built up crate engines that have more power and are cheaper. At least that's what I dream about doing if my engine ever goes.

99SVTcobraVERT

Originally posted by simpman
Ya, the cars at the shop. So hopefully they'll do all that.

$6000 huh, I sure hope my insurance covers it if it comes to that. Damn!

hey simpman, you can call me. pm me and ill give you my # i live in chapel hill area now i work for a lincoln mercury dealership. so i can hook you up on an engine. i have been in your spot before.... :beer: pm me ASAP

bouncer18

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra4pt6
how do you turn the engine over with the car off?

turn the crank by hand

Anyways, Check out WFC events.. you can buy long block crate motors for like 3500 - 4000

if all else fails i have a short block i can get you for like 800 (never used, still in the crate)

SVTHarry

Banned
That exact same thing happend to my friend but he had a neon he put a cold air intake and went throught a big puddle of water and water go to the air intake sucked it in to the engine and boom! broke 2 rods. But they were only charing him like $900 to fix it:shrug:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
if you throw a rod, the head prolly got pounded by a free moving piston.

id say that entire engine is ****ed.

www.karkraft.com has good deals on new crate motors.

you can turn the crank by hand, but just hitting the starter works much much better.

simpman

game artist
Established Member
Originally posted by omslaw
Maybe I'm being naive here, but could you just buy one of those nice built up crate engines that have more power and are cheaper. At least that's what I dream about doing if my engine ever goes.

I'm thinking about that too. Right now I'm just weighing all my options. Got any links to some of those crate engines your talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread