Florida sued for ticketing motorists who warn others of speed traps

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
so you rear ended a car at a stoplight and think it was not your fault? you would have been ticketed in ANY state.

Bingo!

Gloomy, you weren't paying enough attention or you were going too fast for the road conditions. I would have wrote you too.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
so you rear ended a car at a stoplight and think it was not your fault? you would have been ticketed in ANY state.

Did you even read? She was stopped at a green light with no signals on at all at night. :read:. Basically made herself into a road hazard.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Bingo!

Gloomy, you weren't paying enough attention or you were going too fast for the road conditions. I would have wrote you too.

I was focused on the road and doing 40 in a 45. By the time I noticed she was not moving, due to the fact her brake lights were not lit up, I did not have room to move over because another car was traveling next to me. How exactly is that my fault? If that's how you all think, then I feel sorry for the people that get cut off.

If she was having vehicle issues, her hazards should have been on, which they weren't. Take into account, this is at night and her vehicle was dark green.

Last edited:

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Funny. Here in Lawton I have had about 3 other Shelby's flash their lights at me. No cops around, just to recognize the Shelby like MC riders move their left hand down to other bikers. But I do slow down anyway out of habit.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
lol if you rear end someone its ALWAYS your fault, across all 50 states AFAIK. I certainly know that in every state I've spent an extended amount of time in (PA, VA, MD, CO, and NY) it certainly is your fault.

But yeah, FL is gonna have to pay out some funds. I wonder how many more speeding tickets the popo will have to write to make up that 15k????

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
lol if you rear end someone its ALWAYS your fault, across all 50 states AFAIK. I certainly know that in every state I've spent an extended amount of time in (PA, VA, MD, CO, and NY) it certainly is your fault.

But yeah, FL is gonna have to pay out some funds. I wonder how many more speeding tickets the popo will have to write to make up that 15k????
That has to be the dumbest law ever. i wouldn't be surprised if she trying to exploit it:nonono: wonder how many people get. screwed?

Machdup1

Established Member
I've never stopped anyone for flashing lights to warn others. :shrug:

It's kinda like cat and mouse to me, I'll try to use any advantage I can think of to catch them. If the driver gets a warning then oh well, he still slowed down. We all win. I don't have to write a ticket and traffic is proceeding at a safer pace.

Have you ever stopped a car that flashed its lights to warn another driver for a different reason? I would think that would be an entertaining stop.

Sometimes it just doesn't pay for the mouse to draw attention to itself when the cat holds all the cards. :beer:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

there are a few exceptions but gloomy's situation is generally not one of them. Altho if I were gloomy I would go to court and fight the ticket.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I think all the LEO's are just jelly that theres a universal way motorists can inform other motorists of their presence.

Florida has some stupid laws. Including the "It's your fault if you rear end someone" law. Dealing with a nightmare myself here. Was headed home from work the other night, and some woman in a Jeep thought it would be a great idea to park at a green light with no signals or brake lights on, whatsoever. God knows what the hell she was doing, but after the collision, when I went to go check on her, her cellphone was on her lap :nonono:. By the time I noticed she was stationary, I tried to jump lanes, but there was oncoming traffic behind me. So I had to get on the brakes. Needless to say, you all know what happened next. No offense, to any LEOs out there, but the officer that did the report, fabricated it so all of the blame falls on me. He didn't even mention in there the fight he had to break up with her and her hick boyfriend:dw:, which is who she was probably texting at the light :cuss:. Never ran any sobriety tests on us either.

This law can basically put you in a position where, someone can just jump in front of your car, get on the brakes and leave you liable for bullshit. :nonono:

uhh thats why you need to be paying attention.

If theres more to the story, you should include that in your report to your insurance company. Im pretty sure theyd be interested in knowing that they might not have to pay for her vehicle repairs too if they can prove she was at fault.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
there are a few exceptions but gloomy's situation is generally not one of them. Altho if I were gloomy I would go to court and fight the ticket.

I already paid the ticket. Got advised that in this situation, it's just about a lose/lose situation :nonono:

I think all the LEO's are just jelly that theres a universal way motorists can inform other motorists of their presence.

uhh thats why you need to be paying attention.

If theres more to the story, you should include that in your report to your insurance company. Im pretty sure theyd be interested in knowing that they might not have to pay for her vehicle repairs too if they can prove she was at fault.

Yea, we are currently working on that right now. It just pisses me off that I have no more Mustang(hopefully not totalled. Hit her at around 25 or so, so my hood and front end is messed up. No broken glass on her car or my car, because I got on it pretty hard lol) due to someone's ignorance. She even apologized to me, in front of my dad saying that her vehicle(200k mile Jeep Grand Cherokee) was having issues. Of course, that part didn't make it on the police report :dw:. She described what sounded like a bad fuel pump. Vehicle was stalling/jerking when attempting to accelerate. Bottom line is, no hazards, nothing to even hint that she was even there in the middle of the road.

Thanks for the advice :beer:

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Thanks for the advice :beer:
yeah ... that really is good advice. and it is why I said it is not always true that the person doing the rear ending is a fault. I hit a chic in Texas, she was driving her brothers truck and to make a long story short I called my insurance co and told them to check her out really good before paying her claims. they denied her outright. her lawyer called and said he was gonna sue me and I said have at it. they eventually settled for a pittance. but had we gone to court they would have flat out lost. Couldn't go to court cause I was out here in the sandbox by the time they filed the suit.

rjs281

Established Member
I got a verbal warning for warning cars by flashing my lights. Didn't know a second trooper was up the road from the first. He was pissed,but no ticket.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
yeah ... that really is good advice. and it is why I said it is not always true that the person doing the rear ending is a fault. I hit a chic in Texas, she was driving her brothers truck and to make a long story short I called my insurance co and told them to check her out really good before paying her claims. they denied her outright. her lawyer called and said he was gonna sue me and I said have at it. they eventually settled for a pittance. but had we gone to court they would have flat out lost. Couldn't go to court cause I was out here in the sandbox by the time they filed the suit.

Ah man, good for you. Glad you got out of that nightmare :beer: . You should have seen the show she tried to put on. Even the firefighters were loling. They called her act "Oh look, she's doing "this"". I asked them, "What is "this"?" They lol'd some more and said "don't worry about it". She was trying to fake a neck injury. About 30 min later, her boyfriend shows up, next thing we hear is her screaming and her dangling out of his Escalade. Neck injury my ass. She's now trying to do the whole sueing thing. Sad part is, the cop did a shitty police report that mentioned absolutely nothing about what went on at accident scene. Nor did it occur to him to run a sobriety test to see if she wasn't on some shit from the way she was screaming. It was about 2 lines that said "Driver of the Mustang followed too closely and rear ended the Jeep." I wasn't following at all. Was approaching the green light as part of oncoming traffic and she was parked at the light lol. We are going to see if we can get an affidavit to combat the inaccurate police report. The whole situation is retarded.

Last edited:

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
There are some instances where rear ending is not the rear cars fault. My frst car crash was on a one lane in either direction road. A guy tried to pass a line of traffic and another car came in the other direction so he swerved and slammed on his brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of me. Neadless to say I hit him (ironically he was in a 04 mysticchrome vert)

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
you should be able to get the firefighters testimony in without any issues. Hopefully your insurance has a good attorney that will do the right thing. Mine was absolutely awesome. he listened to what I said, checked up on what I suggested, kept in touch with me via email and shit and laid it to her big time.

Ah man, good for you. Glad you got out of that nightmare :beer: . You should have seen the show she tried to put on. Even the firefighters were loling. They called her act "Oh look, she's doing "this"". I asked them, "What is "this"?" They lol'd some more and said "don't worry about it". She was trying to fake a neck injury. About 30 min later, her boyfriend shows up, next thing we hear is her screaming and her dangling out of his Escalade. Neck injury my ass. She's now trying to do the whole sueing thing. Sad part is, the cop did a shitty police report that mentioned absolutely nothing about what went on at accident scene. Nor did it occur to him to run a sobriety test to see if she wasn't on some shit from the way she was screaming. It was about 2 lines that said "Driver of the Mustang followed too closely and rear ended the Jeep." I wasn't following at all. Was approaching the green light as part of oncoming traffic and she was parked at the light lol. We are going to see if we can get an affidavit to combat the inaccurate police report. The whole situation is retarded.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
you should be able to get the firefighters testimony in without any issues. Hopefully your insurance has a good attorney that will do the right thing. Mine was absolutely awesome. he listened to what I said, checked up on what I suggested, kept in touch with me via email and shit and laid it to her big time.

Wow! That's pretty damn good to hear. At least there is hope now that someone will listen lol.

Luckily, we have one the firefighters name on the report, at least. Will have to go from there and hope for the best. Most of the damage to my car is on the passenger side front, so hopefully that is enough proof to say that I tried to avoid her(tried to jump to the left, but that's when I noticed the truck coming up on the left lane, and bit the bullet. I was on the middle lane with nowhere to go, unfortunately. Right lane was occupied by another vehicle.)

Last edited:

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
I flash my lights sometimes to warn other motorists of speed traps, but majority of the time it's to warn others of 1. Deer/animals 2. Road hazard 3. turn lights on/brights off.

Heard about people getting stopped for warning others didn't think it was a right thing to do because regardless it still slows traffic down.

C-Tidda

Established Member
Its messing up their money making scheme. Cant have that. Like said above. If they werent doing it to make money they would appreciate motorist warning other motorist to slow it down.

LE is a business just like any other.

This man speaks the truth.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Yes, they come on automatically, but you can turn them off. I do it all the time in my '11 Buick LaCrosse. They can be turned off manually. They can be turned on manually.

LOL WRONG! Your car isn't every other car in the world.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
I hope he gets the $15,100. Some police departments and some individual officers need to realize they are paid to protect and serve, not be a nuisance.

Users who are viewing this thread