Fluid

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
I posted up on here a couple weeks back about my rear diff leaking. Well got that fixed finally! Front seal was leaking like predicted and now it's just fine.

Two things I noticed:

1. While I was at the shop I got a chance to see the maintenance being done, the mechanic told me that my tranny was over filled. When he went to put the drive shaft back into the tranny and alot of fluid poured out.. he said it shouldn't have POURed out like that. Told me that the fill port and the part where the drive shaft goes in is pretty much on the same level and THAT much fluid should not have came out.

Is that right? I have to spend some time this weekend to make sure the fluid is correct on the tranny but I didn't know if the fill port was on the same level or not. Hope this isn't too confusing. I did notice a slight change in shifting... it's not unbearably hard to put it in gear but does feel rough.

2. I asked if the differential fluid could be changed since most of it came out already. They told me that would be a far more expensive procedure being that the diff. would have to come completely out to get all the fluid to drain. I know there's no drain hole. Anyways they put some O'Reilly's brand 80W-140 in there. I thought it was supposed to be 75w-140 with fluid friction modifier?

Any help/advice is good...thanks

Last edited:

Charles236

Established Member
The fluid level has been revised on the 3650 transmissions, so it shouldn't be filled to the bottom of the filler plug. If fluid is running out when the driveshaft is removed, it probably is overfilled. The transmission will hold around 4 quarts when filled to the bottom of the filler plug, but it should not be filled to that amount, the revised fill amount is 3.2 quarts.

The differential can be drained with a suction pump, but a suction pump will not pull all of the fluid out.

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
true, I put a little under 4 quarts of RP in my tranny. Took the car to the dealership to change the fluid(also had a leak) and it took a few days and cost too much:whine:

Users who are viewing this thread