F'n lower pulley

1slow2v

Established Member
had to vent, just did a lower pulley on a buddies 04 mystic and ended up having to pull the radiator and move the ac condensor out of the way so that i could get a 3/4" that right a friggn 3/4" impact in there. snapped 3 14mm allens of 1 mac, 1 snap on, and one that came with the kit. bent my mac breaker bar, bent a nuckle saver wrench and a matco wrench the list just goes on and on. and managed to figure out that the clutch is done. motor turns over in gear with brake set, tires dont turn :mj: oh well it made it to 8k with the wife driven. time for a cf so the his wife can still drive it i guess. any ways i feel better now :coolman:

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
you do realize its reverse threads, right?

1slow2v said:
had to vent, just did a lower pulley on a buddies 04 mystic and ended up having to pull the radiator and move the ac condensor out of the way so that i could get a 3/4" that right a friggn 3/4" impact in there. snapped 3 14mm allens of 1 mac, 1 snap on, and one that came with the kit. bent my mac breaker bar, bent a nuckle saver wrench and a matco wrench the list just goes on and on. and managed to figure out that the clutch is done. motor turns over in gear with brake set, tires dont turn :mj: oh well it make it to 8k with the wife driven. time for a cf so the his wife can still drive it i guess. any ways i feel better now :coolman:

1slow2v

Established Member
yes done several lightnings and two other cobra's this thing was just seized. never had near that much trouble before. ?? no idea why it was so friggn tight .1/2" impact nothing would touch it. got it off finaly though and everything put back together. just got to get the blower back from steig. the car almost won though

mosconiac

Established Member
Mine was pretty tight too. I had something like a 3-4' peice of pipe on a 1/2" breaker bar and put ALL my weight on it (and that some pretty hefty weight, folks). I kept pushing and pushing (nice and steady) and it suddenly went *POP*. I thought, "Holy sh!t, I broke my breaker bar". I cautiously pulled the parts out of the engine bay and everything looked fine. Nothing broke and the pulley threaded out by hand from there!

Snake40

Established Member
1slow2v said:
had to vent, just did a lower pulley on a buddies 04 mystic and ended up having to pull the radiator and move the ac condensor out of the way so that i could get a 3/4" that right a friggn 3/4" impact in there. snapped 3 14mm allens of 1 mac, 1 snap on, and one that came with the kit. bent my mac breaker bar, bent a nuckle saver wrench and a matco wrench the list just goes on and on. and managed to figure out that the clutch is done. motor turns over in gear with brake set, tires dont turn :mj: oh well it made it to 8k with the wife driven. time for a cf so the his wife can still drive it i guess. any ways i feel better now :coolman:

Sounds like my story but I had to resort to a grinder!!

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
That job is a bitch! I had more trouble getting the alternator pulley off than the crank pulley. You don't mention changing that.

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
It was a hard job...I did it a few times on my first 03 Cobra. Breaker bar with 3 foot pipe on it..car in 3rd or 4th gear..e brake on...front end way in the air....put tool on stock lower....sit on drivers side of car on garage floor facing side of car....slide feet under to push clockwise on breaker bar.....push hard with legs with back against garage wall....wham! done! No fun..but got pretty good at it. And yes..it was tight to get the breaker in and the tool...but did not have to take anything out to make room for it all

1slow2v

Established Member
alt. pulley was easy. 3/8" impact and it came off no problems. ive seen them be a pain before but nothing like this. but the clutch slipping probably made it a lot worse. oh well got it off thats all that matters

Aceler8

Established Member
Yeah it was a pain. Now I know why these shops charge so much money.LOL

Last edited:

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
HotRodHarry said:
It was a hard job...I did it a few times on my first 03 Cobra. Breaker bar with 3 foot pipe on it..car in 3rd or 4th gear..e brake on...front end way in the air....put tool on stock lower....sit on drivers side of car on garage floor facing side of car....slide feet under to push clockwise on breaker bar.....push hard with legs with back against garage wall....wham! done! No fun..but got pretty good at it. And yes..it was tight to get the breaker in and the tool...but did not have to take anything out to make room for it all

I did the same thing, used my legs and the garage wall. :beer:

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
evil04cobra said:
I did the same thing, used my legs and the garage wall. :beer:

Great minds think alike :beer:
Of course...we could just be crazy :banana: :pepper: :shrug: :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread