Focus RS

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I don't know about you guys, but I am extremely excited about the new Focus RS. I have a 2014 Shelby GT500 with some bolt ons, and I'm thinking about getting the Focus RS as a daily driver. I had a Focus ST before I got the Shelby. I actually traded the Focus ST for the Shelby. The things I didn't like about the Focus ST, they seemed to have fixed with the RS. I thought it could use a little more power, and I absolutely HATED front wheel drive. I'm not a fan of torque steer and wheel hop that makes me think the front end is gonna explode.

So, who else here like the RS and wants to get one? Looks like it's gonna be a fun little car!

clbailey

Established Member
I want a 2 door AWD 5 cylinder like in Europe... I have a 14 ST that I got brand new and still my wife and I fight over who gets to drive it. Ive got too much done to it to trade it in on an RS but we may buy one when the ST is paid off/down.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
I am in the end boat for my wife's next DD. It is between a new loaded 5.0 or RS. She has a 13 Focus ST now and loves it.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I have high hopes for the RS. I loved my ST to, just hated FWD and wanted more power. Bolt ons didn't seem to gain much, and it already had problems with the power it had, with the torque steer and wheel hop, more power would of made it worse.

For a daily, I like the fact that it has 4 doors instead of 2. With the power it has, I'm willing to bet it's a 12 second hot hatch, right out of the box. I'm sure it could launch hard enough for it. Just have to wait for the weight and price. I think it goes on sale next spring.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I was dead set on getting one but then I got a GT500 instead. I'll still get one because it is one of my dream cars but it will be down the road.

Ubergeist

Established Member
I've had two cars for nearly a decade now. Decided to go back to one car. The main contenders were the CLA45, S3, Golf R, and Focus RS.

Once Ford announced the RS will be AWD, I called my local Ford dealer and became number one on the waiting list.
The announcement of the 345hp is fantastic. My only fear is powerband, I do not want another Mazdaspeed where it had a 6500 redline but makes no power after 5800. I am hoping with the larger twinscroll it will give it a powerband making power to redline.

Regarding the other contenders, had high hopes for the Golf R. Once they said no 2-dr, I lost interest. If I'm going to be forced in a 4-door, might as well get they much better looking S3. MSRP for my S3 47-48K. (Not including discounts)

The CLA45, is amazing, after my test drive I was sold. Though with the RS now having 345HP and most likely weighing less, the performance might be similiar and saving 20K to boot. MSRP for my CLA45, 53K (Still trying to find a place that will deal, best so far was 200 off sticker.:rollseyes)

It looks the RS will be the car to me, let's just hope Ford prices it right. If its within 10% of the Germans, I will most likely go with the AMG. As AMG's have a special place in my heart.:-D I think Ford should undercut the closest competition in price, the STi. That would be fantastic.

Very exciting times to be shopping for a new car. If Audi releases the RS3 and VW releases the R400, I will be back to square one.

Voltwings

Established Member
Almost no factory turbo car pulls to redline on the factory tune, they always tank power on the top end for the sake of heat management, knock control, etc... they have to assume people want to drive the piss out of these things and that average joe has no concern about Boost temps, the quality of fuel he puts in, etc... Not saying i dont expect great things from the RS, just dont be surprised if it doesnt have a dreamy powerband right off the bat. Been doing the turbo 4 thing for a LONG time (on my second speed3 actually) and have never seen a great factory powerband.

einehund

Established Member
The wife has a ST as her daily and it WILL be getting replaced with a Magnetic RS. Already working with the dealer I bought the ST from.

MysticRob

Established Member
Almost no factory turbo car pulls to redline on the factory tune, they always tank power on the top end for the sake of heat management, knock control, etc... they have to assume people want to drive the piss out of these things and that average joe has no concern about Boost temps, the quality of fuel he puts in, etc... Not saying i dont expect great things from the RS, just dont be surprised if it doesnt have a dreamy powerband right off the bat. Been doing the turbo 4 thing for a LONG time (on my second speed3 actually) and have never seen a great factory powerband.

I hear you, but while there will be always be improvement seen with tuning, a car that has ~345hp/tq (most of it between 2000-4500rpm) and what'll likely be an AWD weight ~3500lb (Focus ST weighs ~3250lbs) already sounds pretty dreamy off the showroom floor to me. I can't wait to see what a Cobb, Livernois, or FRPP tune and bolt-ons does for this car though!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-f...orque-confirmed-you-will-not-be-disappointed/

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Any guess on actual pricing?
I'm also looking for a new DD with AWD for winter, but I fear that these will be way over priced up here.

Voltwings

Established Member
Its the kind of people who say "what?!?!?! $40k for a FOCUS," that will kill this car. Never mind that literally every single thing is different other than the name. Same as an Evo and a base model lancer lol ... maybe they've got 2 bolts in common but its a whole new car otherwise. This car unfortunately is one thats going to have to come out and prove its worth first it seems.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I'm hoping for mid 30's for a loaded RS. 40 would be too much IMO. Of course, they won't be discounting them when they hit showrooms. They might even try for a mark up. I'm also waiting on the price announcement. That's the next big, important piece of info I need.

I heard there are only 4 color options? Which 4 colors are they offering?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Its the kind of people who say "what?!?!?! $40k for a FOCUS," that will kill this car. Never mind that literally every single thing is different other than the name. Same as an Evo and a base model lancer lol ... maybe they've got 2 bolts in common but its a whole new car otherwise. This car unfortunately is one thats going to have to come out and prove its worth first it seems.

Sorry but its not an entirely different car.

Its a Focus with AWD drivetrain, suspension and a better engine, built on the same assembly line with the same assembly processes.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
I looked seriously at ST before I bought my Subaru. The RS is interesting, but I fear it will be 40k+. Definitely not worth the price tag to me. If they can keep it 35-37, I'd check it out.

Ubergeist

Established Member

I have owned numerous turbo cars, 94 Talon TSi AWD, 94 Dodge Stealth TT, 02 WRX, 04 STi, 02 GTI, 09 RDX, a Mazdaspeed3, Mazdaspeed 6 and a half of dozen NSRT-4s.

None of those cars fell flat on their face as the Mazdaspeeds did. Lets take a look at my MS6 dyno.

2006Mazdaspeed6Dyno.jpg

In the last 800 rpm, it lost circa 70whp, or over 30% of max power. That is atrocious. I just don't wan't the RS to have a powerband like this. What is the point of a higher redline, if it is useless past 5800?

Here is a dyno from one of my SRT-4s. Much better.

MiscPix002.jpg

Lastly, something from this decade. AMG A45.

a455.jpg

What a great powerband for a stock turbo 4. This is what I hope the RS will be like, albeit most likely less hp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread