fog lights not working anymore

98slowbra

Established Member
I turn on the switch inside and the fog lights will not come on anymore, is there a fuse under the hood that could be blown? I would look at the manual but I can not seem to find it. I do not see how both would go out at the same time. Anyone know anything about the factory fog lights? and if there is a fuse where is it located at? On my 98 cobra.

Vigilante

Established Member
I turn on the switch inside and the fog lights will not come on anymore, is there a fuse under the hood that could be blown? I would look at the manual but I can not seem to find it. I do not see how both would go out at the same time. Anyone know anything about the factory fog lights? and if there is a fuse where is it located at? On my 98 cobra.

If you did the fog light mod a wire could have rattled loose. If not check the lights for condensation and other connection problems. I don't know about the fuse.

98slowbra

Established Member
If you did the fog light mod a wire could have rattled loose. If not check the lights for condensation and other connection problems. I don't know about the fuse.

I have not done the fog light mod, I will try to look at it again. But the light on the button comes on but not the lights.

Vigilante

Established Member
I have not done the fog light mod, I will try to look at it again. But the light on the button comes on but not the lights.

hmm... sounds like a bad connection closer to the fogs then and/or the bulbs themselves jiggled free.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
1) Bad ground located on the radiator support crossmember above the left headlight assembly. Look for a green screw. There may be two such screws. Clean the connections and tighten.
2) Bad relay in engine compartment fuse box. Location label inside lid of fuse box.

98slowbra

Established Member
just about to get to them, got done with my personal trainer then went to both my girls soccer games. I will get to them today.

98slowbra

Established Member
FOG LIGHTS FIXED, I just wiggled the wires on the lights and did the grounds, and I also noticed the fuse on my horn was blown again, I changed that 20 amp fuse and bam they are working now, I wonder if that fuse for the horn is tied into the fog lights cause the horn and lights have not been working for a while.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
FOG LIGHTS FIXED, I just wiggled the wires on the lights and did the grounds, and I also noticed the fuse on my horn was blown again, I changed that 20 amp fuse and bam they are working now, I wonder if that fuse for the horn is tied into the fog lights cause the horn and lights have not been working for a while.

BINGO!

Glad you found the bad fuse.

Now if you had reported that the fog lights, and the horn, and the cigar lighter, and the clock were all non-functional I would have skipped the relay and ground connections and gone directly to the fuse as they are all on the same fuse.

By the way, you may still have a problem if the the fuse has been blowing repeatedly!

Last edited:

98slowbra

Established Member
yes the fuse keeps on blowing, I do not know why, but I do not use the cig lighter, and the clock, I do not have a clock since all after market stereo. And yes I do not know why the fuse is blowing all the time, do not know if it has to do with the aftermarket alarm or aftermarket car stereo.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
yes the fuse keeps on blowing, I do not know why, but I do not use the cig lighter, and the clock, I do not have a clock since all after market stereo. And yes I do not know why the fuse is blowing all the time, do not know if it has to do with the aftermarket alarm or aftermarket car stereo.

1) You didn't have a clock atop the dash? '98's may not have had them, I don't know as I have a '97 with a clock. If there ever was a clock there have you inspected the former clock wire to see if it is not flopping around and shorting out?
2) Have you inspected the cigar lighter to assure that: a) no foreign matallic material (like a penny) has fallen into it, or b) that it's wire is properly connected.
3) Have you tried repeatedly sounding the horn to see if it stops working, and then checked the fuse? Sometimes a horn will 'stick' and will blow a fuse.

After the above you are on your own with the aftermarket stereo stuff, but none of that should be blowing the horn/fog light/cigar lighter/clock fuse.

An aftermarket alarm may be involved. Again, you're on your own with anything afermarket. Try disconnecting it.

98slowbra

Established Member
I have a feeling it might be the aftermarket alarm, I remember when the alarm was hooked up to the trunk so when I push a certian button on the alarm the trunk would open, then every now and again with that hooked up on the trunk the horn would go off sometime for no reason, I disconnected that part in the trunk but the horn fuse would still blow after a while. I will have to chekc this out again.

Users who are viewing this thread