Fogs/Parking Lights in "Auto" Mode Only on With Door Open?

CCS86

Established Member
Hi guys,

I noticed that in my '12 acts a bit weird with the lights set to auto, and pulled out for fogs.

At night, everything works as expected: lights, corner markers, and fogs are on. During the day, I thought that the headlights turned off, but the fogs and markers remained on. It turns out, that is only the case when a door is open (like when I went to check on it, hahaha). Once the door is closed, all the lights turn off.

Can someone confirm that this is normal? I'd really like the fogs and markers to stay on during the day. Maybe I can just jump a wire to make it think the door is open?

Thanks!

jammy604

Your foglights and side marker lights will not stay on during the day when your headlight switch is set to auto because there is a sensor on the middle of the dash by the windshield that senses daylight. Cover the sensor and your foglights/marker lights will stay on.

CCS86

Established Member
Thanks Jammy.

That would also mess up the gauge backlight though, wouldn't it? In full daylight, they kick on extra bright, so I think that functionality would be lost.

Since, in auto mode, during the day, the fogs kick on when a door is open, sending key-on power to that leg would get the desired result. Just not quite sure where that circuit is.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The lights come on when the door is open on most cars.

Users who are viewing this thread