followers

termcobra281

Established Member
Hey everyone... I am in the process of building my turbo engine. I was wondering should I replace the stock followers on the engine while I am in there? The engine had 109k miles on it. I did buy new adjusters just wondering if the followers is something I should do as well.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I upgraded mine when I did my 2V heads. I put in the GT followers. I was only making 450wh so I didn’t notice any difference but I did it for the peace of mind of having new/upgraded parts.

DCguy

Established Member
Yes only on the exhaust side I believe.

Only the supercar heads use the short lash adjusters on the intake side. See below:

For non-supercar heads (any other 4v head) all the lash adjusters are the same length.....so you can upgrade all 32 followers to the supercar style. You get more oil pressure most importantly and a bit more power. If you have a high pressure oil pump its a good combo - the 03/04 pump is a high output unit so you're already good to go, but if you want even more oil performance the 3V GT500 pump is the best.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The 3V didn't come in the GT500. The GT500 is a 4V head. The 3V uses the high pressure pump because of the VVT. Is the high pressure needed with the non VVT engines?

My plan when the time comes is a 13/14 GT500 pump housing with the billet backing plate and aftermarket billet gears. I think Boundary is one that's highly recommended.

DCguy

Established Member
The 3V didn't come in the GT500. The GT500 is a 4V head. The 3V uses the high pressure pump because of the VVT. Is the high pressure needed with the non VVT engines?

My plan when the time comes is a 13/14 GT500 pump housing with the billet backing plate and aftermarket billet gears. I think Boundary is one that's highly recommended.

Its just the name of the pump as its used in 3v's and GT500. I'm not saying the GT500 is a 3V. See here:

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Massive discount on GT lash adjusters.

Also, Melling MR944 GT followers. You would do all 32 of each

1645535761509.png

01yellercobra

Established Member

termcobra281

Established Member

View attachment 1739064
Are these stock replacement? or are they good as the GT?

termcobra281

Established Member

01yellercobra

Established Member
so this set up will also fit the 4.6 4v s?
The 4.6/5.4 use the same type of pump. The biggest thing to check for is getting the steel backing plate that the later GT500 pumps have and that they use the bigger pick up. The Cobra pump uses a larger diameter pick up than the 2V engines. I'm not sure about the 3V though.

The 3V has a higher pressure relief valve for the VVT. I remember some guys having issues running the GT500 pumps in the 3V a few years ago because while the volume was there the pressure wasn't. They swapped out the relief valve and all was good.

termcobra281

Established Member

View attachment 1739064
Alright these guys are ordered. Hope they work good. You and your brother has got me sold on several things. I figure a man with 1600 hp must know what they are talking about..

Users who are viewing this thread