For Sale: 1998 Cobra, completely built

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
As of this weekend, I'll have owned my Cobra for a year and it's time I let it go. I just don't think the car ever really suited my taste for one reason or another. It's time to pay off some bills, mod the Jeep a bit more, and get something nicer for my hour commute to work. Figured I'd post this here first since lots of people know the car and might want to get in on it.

This car has been completely overhauled from the ground up and damn near everything is aftermarket. Jason (TRBO VNM) put in the fuel system and installed the new motor (twice, long story...) so you know it's done right. I've checked over pretty much every single thing since the motor install and all the teething issues should be worked out completely. I've only put 7k miles on the car in the past year and it's probably been on the road 4 out of 12 months that I've had it. The whole fuel system is new and the entire longblock is new, so you are pretty much buying a new car.

I'm asking $16000 as of right now. Laugh if you want, but that is a bargain compared to what this cost to build up. I bought it with lots of parts on it already, but I paid a premium as well as putting close to $10k into the car myself. I'm completely open to offers, but I'm not even going to respond to lowballers.

Here is everything I can remember about the car right now. I don't have pics here at work, but email me if you want some.

1998 Cobra, Laser Red, 52k miles

Engine
-L&M Engines built longblock with less than 1000 miles (old engine blew up due to internal issues, new engine built with all brand new parts except for buying a used block and heads from another car)
-Jon Lund break-in tune, will be tuned before sold (made 570whp on the old engine setup)
-Teksid block
-Livernois Motorsports forged 298ci stroker rotating assembly, all rings and bearings custom filed at L&M (New - Livernois Motorsports - 4.6L 4-Valve 298ci Stroker Rotating Assembly)
-B heads from another 98 Cobra
-FR500 cams and valvetrain kit
-completely new Ford timing kit
-ARP head studs and main studs
-Innovators West 10% overdrive crank pulley
-Intake manifold has been ported and runners smoothed
-Black powdercoated valve covers

Forced Induction
-Vortech V1 T-trim supercharger w/ 3.1 pulley
-Custom boost pipe before blower
-Custom intercooler piping with 31x10x7" front mount intercooler
-blow through MAF after intercooler
-brand new Tial blow-off valve, vented to atmosphere (very loud, if too loud, I still have the Vortech Mondo bypass valve that can be routed back to the intake pipe to quiet it down)
-AIS (Alkycontrol) meth injection system is plumbed and wired, just needs a nozzle to be installed in the intercooler piping
-Exhaust: '03 Mach 1 stock manifolds, Bassani 5 piece o/r X, Bassani catback

Fuel System
-03 Cobra gas tank
-FORE fuel tank hat w/dual Walbro 255lph pumps (wired straight from the battery with heavy gauge wire, seperate relay for each pump, pumps on with accessories)
-AN fuel lines (-8 feed, -6 return)
-stock fuel rails
-60lb injectors

Drivetrain
-T56 from 03 Cobra w/MGW shifter and 26 spline input shaft
-RPS stage 2 clutch with stock steel flywheel
-firewall adjuster and quadrant
-Aluminum driveshaft
-4.10 gears
-Auburn Pro differential
-31 spline axles
-BBS RK wheels (18x8.5" F, 18x10" R)
-Nitto NT555 front tires, 245/40/18
-Kumho XS rear tires, 315/30/18

Front Suspension
-Griggs K-member
-Griggs A-arms
-Griggs coilovers w/350# springs
-Tokico Illumina shocks
-Griggs C/C plates
-Aluminum rack bushings
-Griggs Motor mounts
-Steeda basic subframe connectors

Rear Suspension
-Steeda upper and lower control arms w/poly bushings
-95 Cobra R springs
-Tokico Illumina

Exterior/Interior
-Paint is in great condition minus tiny marks here or there and some normal rock chips on the front. This car was a show car/sunday driver for its first 45k miles. I'll probably get it detailed before I sell it because it sat for quite a while
-spoiler delete from the factory
-light window tint, probably 50%
-FR500 steering wheel
-Saleen Recaro seats front and rear, I think they have around 25k miles on them, passenger seat and rear seat look damn near new
-dual pillar pod with A/F gauge and fuel pressure (autometer phantom)
-steering column pod with boost gauge
-10th anniv shift boot and MGW composite shift knob

Here are a few pics, I never really took that many.

4-28-09018.jpg

tapeside.jpg

JLPpic.jpg

4-28-09021.jpg

IMG00087-20090424-1912.jpg

IMG00086-20090424-1912.jpg

Last edited:

convert03cobra

Established Member
Car is built right...that's for sure. Your car tuned out to be a money pit like mine. Now that we both have them running 100%, we both want to sell it. LOL Good luck with the sale. Someone sure is getting a nice cobra.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Sorry to see it go, Dale.
Its a fantastic car, but you deserved one you could just rock-out with, with no hassles.
Hope to see you in something besides the Jeep someday (it sucks on cruises). :lol1:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Its a fantastic car, but you deserved one you could just rock-out with, with no hassles.

That is exactly what I wanted and the opposite of what I got, but someone else will be getting a car that they don't have to spend a dime on mods.

What's next? I'm going to ride off my mom's style in cars lol. :read:

emerica4601

KCCO!
Established Member
so how good are those 4.10's with that much power?

I haven't even had my setup tuned yet but I feel like it will rip the tires off in any gear with that gear.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Dale, offer me enough for my '98 so I can buy a 2011 GT with Track Pack, and I can garantee you'll get a car with no problems.
Of course, everyone will laugh and call you names for spending $25,000 on it, but hey, it's blue.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Dale, offer me enough for my '98 so I can buy a 2011 GT with Track Pack, and I can garantee you'll get a car with no problems.
Of course, everyone will laugh and call you names for spending $25,000 on it, but hey, it's blue.

LOL. Don't poke fun to much, I've had my eye on that particular setup...I'm going to go drive one once they hit showrooms, and if I like it enough I will give some serious thought to selling the cobra for one. Like Dale, the cobra spends 99% of it's time sitting, I might actually drive the GT enough to enjoy it.

A 335 has also crossed my mind, but if I did that, I'd sell the cobra and the 330..which I suppose might make more sense than anything else. I'd get to drive my toy daily, and I'd drop a car from the lineup in the process. Decisions decisions.

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
so how good are those 4.10's with that much power?

I haven't even had my setup tuned yet but I feel like it will rip the tires off in any gear with that gear.

I guess it's different because I have a centrifugal blower so the power doesn't come on right away. Its a totally different feeling though because you'll get traction low in 2nd or 3rd, but when you get to about 4k rpm, the blower starts screaming and rips the tires loose when you're doing 60+ mph lol.

Dwight, with all the peer pressure, could you blame me?? :lol1:

TGS2

Dr.Gonzo
Established Member
Wow Dale. That sucks. Very nice car, good luck with the sale.

BTW- I just noticed you on the jeep forums. If you come across a 98-01 XJ, let a brotha know. Selling my Civic for one.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Why 98? 96 and 97 are basically the same thing. You want the NP242 or NP231? AW4 or Manual? Stock or modded?

TGS2

Dr.Gonzo
Established Member
Why 98? 96 and 97 are basically the same thing. You want the NP242 or NP231? AW4 or Manual? Stock or modded?

In 97 they updated the dash to get away from that ugly wood grain and 98 and newer has the color matching grill. Some of the 97's with the black grill aren't bad.

Looking for an auto, nothing more than a 3.5" lift and 31's. I'd like to have a classic.

Dale you looking to go BMW? I know someone with a 335i coupe, he loves it.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I wouldn't let that dash bother you, that piece takes like 2 minutes to replace. The color matching grill would be a bigger deal, unless you got black. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread