For those of you who are mechanicly savy

darknightcobra

REALTOR
Established Member
what would be easier....to put a 03-04 4.6 Termi engine or a 5.4 Lightning drivetrain into an 2002-2005 Ford Explorer XLT.

Note: If it is easier to swap in the termi, what auto trans would work best?

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
You know, thats a good question.. The Cobra 4.6 is wide, where as the Lightning 5.4 is tall.

Last edited:

stangin99

Established Member
I would almost naturally say the L motor because you would have more room to work with mounting the engine to fit.

darknightcobra

REALTOR
Established Member
Can I ask why?

because I would like to do a swap like this.....sooo I was wondering if the 4.6 termi would be easier because the V8 explorer is a 4.6 or if that doesnt matter. or if the lightning would be easier because it has similar ride hwight to a lightning and also because it has a automatic trans.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Isn't that the one you were driving at the beach? Is it bigger than the navigator or smaller? I can't ever remember.

That was it, it's smaller.

because I would like to do a swap like this.....sooo I was wondering if the 4.6 termi would be easier because the V8 explorer is a 4.6 or if that doesnt matter. or if the lightning would be easier because it has similar ride hwight to a lightning and also because it has a automatic trans.

I'll sell you a 3v 6.8L V10.

Users who are viewing this thread