for those of you with lowered cars

ARdoller

Established Member
especially for those with H&R Super Sports and no iso's, how do you go about jacking up the car?

i have a cheap(er) hydraulic floor jack, and i cant even get it under the car anymore. the old bottle jack doesnt fit, and even when i do get the hydraulic jack under the car somehow, it maxes out before i can even get the car high enough to get the jack stands under.

the only thing i can think of, is getting a true floor jack, but i dont want to spend the money on it just to find out it wont fit under the car either.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
If you really don't want to spend the money to get a floor jack, just raise the car in stages.

Drive the front tires up onto some blocks, put the jack under the car, jack it up, set the car on the stands, place a block of wood on the jacking pad, jack the car higher...

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I went to Lowe's, and bought two basic gray 16" square blocks. I drive the car up on them, then jack the car up. It is really close for me, just enough room to get the jack under the car.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
I always lay out 2x4's in front of my front tires and drive up on them to jack up my G35.

jlg32281

Established Member
As stated above, two pieces of 2x4 ( or 2x anything for that matter) should get you up high enough to fit your jack under it. If I start at the edge of my sloped driveway, I can drive mine onto regular ramps.

ARdoller

Established Member
well thats where the problem comes in. i HAVE to drive the car onto blocks for the jack to fit under, but once you add the added height of the blocks, the jack is maxed out before it can get the car high enough to fit stands underneath.

and if i raise the one side of the car, theres no possible way to get the jack under the other side of the car.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Just like the other guys said. These boards raise the car about 2 1/2 in. I used to use them for my Z06 but they work just fine for the cobra and the front is pretty low. Good luck

Al

IMG_8333.jpg

IMG_8335.jpg

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Oh and if you shop around you can find some jacks for really cheap. I have a Craftsman Jack that was about $300, and $100 Aluminum jack from Pep Boys. Believe it or not the Pep Boys jack has lasted me about 7 years and works just as good.

bob6364

Established Member
Same here...3' 2x10 then one 18" then one about 12" nail together car is now an additional 4 1/2" off the ground....plenty of room for the jack. Find a house being built in your area and ask to pick the scrap pile...

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
well thats where the problem comes in. i HAVE to drive the car onto blocks for the jack to fit under, but once you add the added height of the blocks, the jack is maxed out before it can get the car high enough to fit stands underneath.

and if i raise the one side of the car, theres no possible way to get the jack under the other side of the car.

I think a new jack is going to be the only way to solve your problem. Your average 2 ton jack stand is only about a foot tall though at its' lowest height. Your jack must be on its' last limb if it won't raise the car up that far.

95riosnake

Established Member
I bought this a couple months ago, works like a charm.

Got it for $300 shipped (free shipping through amazon)

144795_lg.jpg

Two companies make it, one is Omega, one is Advanced Tool Design. They are both the exact same jack. I got the Advanced Tool Design one because I could get free shipping on it.:thumbsup:

ARdoller

Established Member
for those of you that still use jacks and stands, where are you guys placing them (both the jack, and the stands)? i mean, obviously, with the lowered stance, it kinda makes it more difficult to put them places.

this is what i have now (Advance's version, whichever brand that is, i forget):

Hydraulic_Floor_Jack.jpg

it was an improvement over a bottle jack and a scissor jack, but definitely not anything "heavy duty". i tried using it to jack the car at the k-member, but it wouldnt lift. it was obviously too much weight trying to lift the entire front end, rather than one side. this was before lowering springs and shocks/struts, so i dont even know if i could even get a jack under the front of the car anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread