For those that had to replace the alternator

bms001

Established Member
Quick question. Did you notice problems with your alternator when it was comfortable or warm outside or when it was cold?

03cobrah

Established Member
i had most of my problems in the rain but it was solved when i stopped buying POS autozone alts.

save yourself the trouble and i will say again save yourself the trouble and just buy a top notch quality one.. i ended up buying a start n charge and haven't had problems since. knock on wood.

but if you want to really ease your mind just buy a multimeter, and take a look at it yourself every once in awhile

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Nothing yet but +1 on the POS autozone and so on. Either go with OEM Ford or a higher quality one.

sonic cobra

Established Member
Mine lasted 60,000 miles, but the warning light started flickering then would go away for a few weeks and come back again. this went on for most of the spring, then finally went bad at the track in July. I put in another OEM and so far so good.

Slow99x

Established Member
Mine went at 60k too. I replaced it with a motorcraft one and it has been working fine. I did sound like I had a procharger on my car for the first week though. There was a crazy sounding whistle and whine to the alternator when I would push the gas. I eventually went away on its own.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Mine was on the way out at approx 36k. I have a 2.93/4lb pulley combo with a 3.2 alt pulley. I could hear whining through the speakers. Oddly enough, my battery light didn't start flickering until I was driving to get my spare rebuilt.

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
my car just turned 70k and mine just went 2 days ago. Driving to family on thanksgiving the car slowly started to die. battery light came on and she was dead.

do NOT buy an autozone alternator or anything like that. OEM ford is your best bet. my car runs really smooth now too.

brothmc

CobraGator
Established Member
my battery light started flickering at 70,000 miles and lights were dimming randomly. I just got my alt rebuilt for around 80 bucks. Runs great and saved some money.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Start N Charge rocks

Hopefully yours will last.

Plenty of other generic rebuilds have not made it....

I just got my alt rebuilt for around 80 bucks. Runs great and saved some money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread