For those with prochargers!!!

99snk

Established Member
where to get a replacement K&N filter? i asked everywhere, no luck, it has no code on it and the procharger user manuel doesn't have anything on it as well!!!

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Measure the filter and order it that way. But honestly if I were you I'd buy a Anderson Racing 4" power pipe. It will make a WORLD of difference.

blk96SVT

Established Member
yes, you will need to get a new tune since the powerpipe will increase your boost slightly. I forgot the website but Anderson is in MMFF and 5.0 mags

Stopsign32v

Established Member
99snk said:
will i need retuning with the powerpipe? wats a good place and how much does it cost?

No you won't need to have it retuned. The computer will compensate for the extra boost and send more fuel. My car is seeing about 4 more lbs of boost from what it was tuned at and I have had no problems so far. Get the power pipe, you will love it. The only thing you might not like is you have to cut a hole in your fender, but its not that big of a deal.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
the anderson pp fits like wet ass and is a brutal pain to put on. and yes, adding 4psi is no cause for a retune???? what the **** ever. yes you will need a retune. Your computer ain't that smart. It will add fuel pressure, but that doesn't mean dick. in addition your timing will be too high and if you are relying on your knock sensors to pull timing, you will be staring at a hole in your piston real soon.

horrible advice....

Stopsign32v

Established Member
quadcammer said:
you will be staring at a hole in your piston real soon.

horrible advice....

:bored:

Anyways, 99snk if you have a good tune to start with adding a powerpipe wont hurt your car at all. People will say adding long tubes will screw your tuning up too. :rolleyes: IMO as long as you have a good tune and don't beat on your car too much you will be absolutely fine on stock internals. I've been on stock internals for over 2 years now and have had zero problems.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
quadcammer said:
the anderson pp fits like wet ass and is a brutal pain to put on.

Funny...my power pipe fit perfect and I can take off my filter and pull it out and put it in with no problems.

Wicked

Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
:bored:

Anyways, 99snk if you have a good tune to start with adding a powerpipe wont hurt your car at all. People will say adding long tubes will screw your tuning up too. :rolleyes: IMO as long as you have a good tune and don't beat on your car too much you will be absolutely fine on stock internals. I've been on stock internals for over 2 years now and have had zero problems.

What kind of power are you making, Stopsign?

Quadcammer

Established Member
when will people learn that air to fuel ratio is only one aspect of the tune.

4 more psi with no change in timing equals broken parts. its not that hard to understand. thats why we get tunes in the first place. The computer will only pull timing due to heat or knock. If you are relying on a knock sensor its too late. The 99/01 does not have a map sensor so the computer is not retarding timing accoding to boost.

every person i have talked to has had problems with the anderson powerpipe not fitting but of course yours works perfect.

My custom 175 dollar powerpipe fits perfect and is about 75 bux cheaper.

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
quadcammer said:
4 more psi with no change in timing equals broken parts. its not that hard to understand.

That's right, I've broken so many parts. :rolling: Let me guess, you also think redline launches on a stock bottom end-stock transmission on slicks and 4.30 gears will break something too right?

Quadcammer

Established Member
yes i do. and you know what, i'll take my odds on that.

but since you are sooo smart and your car is sooo indestructible, keep doing what you're doing.

don't think you should be suggesting it to other people.

your car is not exempt from physics.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Obviously I know what does and doesn't work. I can and will suggest what works for me because well....it works.

I have upped boost on my motor quite a bit and have had no problems with it. But if you want to go get a $700 dyno tune everytime you change your filter by all means go for it. :lol: I have launched off the rev limiter on slicks with the stock tranny and stock internals more times than I can count on both my hands and have had no problems with it. But I'm sure you have done the same thing right? Hell, have you ever had your car on the track?

Last edited by a moderator:

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
I'm with quad you you are giving horrible advice.

How many PSI are you pushing stopsign? I was pushing 14 with my d1-sc and any real tuner will tell you that you are on borrowed time, so you either have a fool for a tuner or you know nothing about tuning these cars.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
:bored: If I had a dollar for everytime I had someone tell me "borrowed time"...

Point is I have done it and my car is still together 2 years later.

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
Stopsign, have you ever looked at your plugs for detonation? The only reason I ask is because when quadcammer speaks, its the gospel.

Quadcammer

Established Member
casey, while i appreciate that comment, its not true. I don't know everything nor claim to, but there is no way adding 4 psi of boost will not require a retune.

think about it, some procharger/vortech kits only run 6 psi. if you don't need a tune for 4 psi, why would you need one for 6.....the computer will compensate.

here are the facts

1. the computer only sees manifold pressure through the fuel rail pressure sensor, and adjusts fuel pressure accordingly. That however does not guarantee an accurate a/f. The car does not read from the 02 sensors in open loop so its going on a commanded fuel table that the tuner creates to give you the correct a/f.

2. the computer will pull timing for high intake air temps and if the knock sensors sense knock. Adding 4 psi will certainly affect where you want your timing. Since the 99/01 does not have a MAP sensor, it won't retard timing when more boost is added. this is bad.

just because you have gotten away with it means nothing. Your knock sensors are probably pulling a bunch of timing.

think about it, 4 psi in the middle of the efficency range of a decent blower is about 15rwhp per lb. thats 60 extra hp. Would you add 60 extra hp to your car without having it tuned? I don't think so.

OH AND ANOTHER MAJOR POINT. 60RWHP CAN TAKE SOMEONE FROM BEING OK WITH 1 FUEL PUMP, INJECTORS, AND MAF TO BEING OUT OF FUEL, OUT OF INJECTOR AND PEGGING THE MAF. if you aren't gonna tune it, at least get it on a dyno with a/f.

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
caseydp75 said:
Stopsign, have you ever looked at your plugs for detonation? The only reason I ask is because when quadcammer speaks, its the gospel.

I check my plugs once a month and change them every other month. My car doesn't know what detonation is.

Users who are viewing this thread