For Zaxjax and any of the other detaling gurus here....

snakecharmer

Established Member
I had a little boo-boo while I was out riding the Harley today. As I was getting off the bike, I didn't notice that one of my gloves fell off and went straight onto the hot exhaust pipes. Needless to say by the time I did see it, it had melted some of the fabric and leather and welded it onto the pipes but good. Nothing I have tried so far seems to phase it.

Suggestions for how to get the mess off my pipes without hurting the chrome?

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
If it's melted on you may have to use steel wool to get it off and then polish and polish.

Use the finest grade and work up until it comes off.

You could try a green scrubbing sponge that 3M makes. It's coarse enough to scrub without tearing up the chrome.

snakecharmer

Established Member
I mean it is STUCK. I'm gonna try Mixxer's idea and see if getting it hot again will loosen it up. I borrowed some heavy duty metal cleaning stuff from a friend that I have soaking on it. I've even taken some heavy duty rubbing compound to it in a place where it won't show, and it doesn't seem to phase it.

You can bet I'll never let this happen again. :mj:

snakecharmer

Established Member
Ok, heating it up let me wipe off a huge chunk of it. Couple of places still stuck, so I'm gonna let it cool and then heat cycle the pipes again.

snakecharmer

Established Member
You'll never guess what got it off. It was so obvious I don't know why I didn't think of it myself. Easy-Off Oven cleaner. Heated the pipes, sprayed it on, let it soak for 5, and got it off. Thanks to the v-rod forums for that one, I would never have thought of it.

Users who are viewing this thread