Ford chassis and powertrain engineers are sadists...

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Finally installed my Mcleod RXT last night using my lift at work.

HOLY BALLS what a retarded, sadistic, rediculous process!!! I have never, in all my time as a technician, seen such an ill thought out field repair proceedure. There is literally no room to clear the input shaft from the OEM clutch hub on a GT500. All you guys that do this at home on jackstands, your next beer is on me.

I ended up rotating the crank and removing the factory clutch bolts, freeing the clutch and removing it stuck on the input shaft.

Bet your ass the Big F'n Hammer came out and modified that part of the tunnel where it was stopping the bellhousing.

The Mcleod clutch assembly bolted in like a glove, perfect fit. Already assembled from the factory was a surprise. Trans, while rotated 45 degrees on the trans jack, went right in thanks to my Hammer's surgical like precision modifications. :D

Installed a Mcleod braided stainless line as well. tight fit with the seals into the slave and master. Took about 200 pumps to get a clutch pedal again, and i suspect that it may take the rest of the break in to get all of the air out of the clutch line.

That said, the clutch is amazing. so much smoother, shifts are effortless and i believe the 2nd gear grind is absolutely impacted by the shittiness of the OEM clutch. Cant wait to get the clutch broken in and see how she does flat out.

Id rate an upgraded clutch as mandatory modification # 2 or 3... Im that impressed by the upgrade in feel and performance.

Sorry, no pics. it was late and i had already worked my shift so i was tired. Sides, i dunno if i want you guys to see my surgical sheetmetal modification skills haha!

sleek98

Established Member
I thought you had to lift the front of the motor a little to get the trans to slide out?

Make me a little worried about pulling my tans on jackstands.

Beercules

Established Member
I thought you had to drop the k member a bit...I paid someone to do mine. Any shuddering? I had some that finally went away after about 5-6k miles.

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
I jacked up the front of the motor about 1 inch. Came right out/went right in easy-peazy. If you dont tilt the motor you will fight for a hour.

sleek98

Established Member
I jacked up the front of the motor about 1 inch. Came right out/went right in easy-peazy. If you dont tilt the motor you will fight for a hour.

Where did you place the jack. Was planning on trying to pull the trans out Tomorrow. Have it up on blocks but I don't see a good spot to do it.

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
I placed 1x6 on my jack vertically behind the crank pulley and on the bolt heads that come out out the oil pan. Your not jacking up the whole car. With the tranny mounts removed the engine tips back easily.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I had a floor stand under the oil pan bolts simply to hold the engine tilted back. back of trans dropped a good 6-8 inches.

Back of the valve cover was making contact with the firewall so that was as far back as i was willing to let the engine tilt.

I had considered dropping the k member down a bit, but i seriosuly did NOT feel like screwing up or having to realign my front suspension.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I did the clutch in my 08 GT500 and my 13 GT500 at my shop on a lift. One thing i did that mad a big difference is lowering the K-member as low as i could. It makes getting the trans out so much easier. I have no idea why tremec couldn't make the TR6060 like the T-56 so you can pull the trans from the bell housing. bottom line...GT500s sucks ass to do clutches in

ponyboy96

Established Member
Agreed. Total pita and I did mine on jack stands. I had to drop the k member a bit and jack up the front of the engine. If they would have just reversed the bell housing bolts it would be a different story. Why ford? Why?

I could have my old gm t56 out in less than an hour including jacking the car up.

builttodrive

Established Member
When I did mine I just ran the motor mount upper nut loose and let the back of the engine tilt back. There is very little room between the engine and firewall on these!

RSAGT500

Established Member
I'd say you might have beat the firewall for nothing. The RXT clutch assembly is thinner than stock and the input shaft slid right past it going in. Now, coming out with the stock clutch was a pain in the ass. I lowered the k-member, jacked the front of the motor and clocked the trans and after a bunch of wrestling it came out.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Didnt feel like redoing my front end alignment. A few whacks with the hammer is a small price to pay. Definitely agree going in was much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread