Ford Explorer V8 95-01. Are they solid?

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Wanted to add something I remembered from my 5.0 explorer days. There is a severe restriction in the exhaust system that really hurts performance. The explorer got GT40P heads with a different spark plug angle. Traditional 302 headers won't fit and the only bolt on, explorer 5.0 GTP header, made by TorqueMaster I think, runs over $600 for shorties.

I'm really interested in building an Explorer 302 for a project some day. Ditch the factory head for an aluminum aftermarket version but keep OBD2 in place for modern drivability.

OBX made a knock off of the Torque Monster headers for half the price. Havent seen any on eBay in a while.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
My dad has a 2001 explorer sport trac with the 4.0. 370k miles on it. Regular maintenance and a thermostat housing is all we have done to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
You may have seen my Bronco in the other thread, but I would highly reccommend the Bronco. They are just cool all around and I firmly believe values will slowly go up on them as time goes on. Get them now while they are still cheap and you wont regret it.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I have experience with both

The bronco will be more simplistic over the 2nd gen ( especially if you get an eddie bauer or limited). I'd shoot for a 95-96 so you have the most improved form of the E40D. My Bronco has 127k on the original E40D with no issues, I've had it wheeling multiple times. Hell I've even shot the front pump shaft seal out twice from overheating the trans (common problem) but it's never been out of the truck. I put a punisher VB in it two years ago and it shifts awesome now.

The explorer is going to be more comfortable around town. Smaller inside and longer overall but it will have a smoother ride with the true IFS vs the TTB of the Bronco. The 5.0's will run pretty much forever. Even the 4.0 SOHC's will reach very high mileage but that engine, which started life as a 2.7L, bumped to 4.0L then retrofitted with OHC heads is a bit more complex then the 5.0. The 4R44E/4R55E/5R55E trans also isn't as strong.

Bronco resale is absolutely on the rise, if I was smart and kept my truck as clean as it was when I bought it back in 09 for 4 grand I'd have a 12-15 grand truck now. Explorers will be cheaper however very clean lower mile examples tend to get snatched up very fast. It doesn't help that a lot were scrapped during C4C.

bobert

Established Member
I currently daily drive a 99 explorer 5.0 awd. I average around 15mpg. Mechanically its pretty solid and hasn't needed any major repairs or left me stranded. Most of the issues I've had are from the various odds and ends around the car that don't really seem that important in a daily beater. For example the things currently broken that I'm probably not going to fix are the rear wiper motor, power driver side door lock, multi disc CD player in the center console, and side airbag resistor under the drivers seat.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Had a 97 Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0 awd. Truly the best vehicle I ever had. I had BFG all terrains on it and no snow would ever slow me down, ran fantastic. Only thing I ever did was a trans flush, tune up and that's it. I sold it at 200k. Next owners got another 125k out of her and she finally had the rear end go out at 325k. the engine was still kicking and the only thing ever done was replace alternator and water pump while they had it. Engine was never craked open and it never leaked a drop of anything. Wish I could reproduce that thing.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I'm still waiting for pics of that cream puff Sport manual.
granted this is outside the year range we're discussing here, but I think the mega rare one would be the first gen eddie bauer sport. I've seen one in my lifetime and it was pretty clapped out. I've honestly seen more Saleen XP8's than I have first gen eddie bauer sports.

p89888_large%2B1994_ford_explorer_eddie_bauer_edition%2Bfront_side_view.jpg

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
granted this is outside the year range we're discussing here, but I think the mega rare one would be the first gen eddie bauer sport. I've seen one in my lifetime and it was pretty clapped out. I've honestly seen more Saleen XP8's than I have first gen eddie bauer sports.

View attachment 1465633

I'm considering trying to pick up a 98-03 at some point. I like messing around with those older trucks.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I would avoid the third gens which are 02-05. You already had a fourth gen which was a nicer and more reliable version of the third gen.

I'm talking about a Sport, which 2003 was the last year for. I'm currently driving an 05 Aviator that I really like. It's def not as well screwed together as my 09 though.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I would avoid the third gens which are 02-05. You already had a fourth gen which was a nicer and more reliable version of the third gen.

A lot of the low priced 4.6/5.4 trucks/SUVs ive been finding seem to have some issues from that era. Timing chain it seems is the cause. plug blow outs on a few, but those looked like shitboxes as it was. Craigslist low end finds anyway. DOHC Modulars and Crown Vic 4.6L Modulars seem to be ok.

Ill sacrifice some MPG for stubborn reliability (5.0, 5.8) and an ability to tow a respectable amount when I need to.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
A lot of the low priced 4.6/5.4 trucks/SUVs ive been finding seem to have some issues from that era. Timing chain it seems is the cause. plug blow outs on a few, but those looked like shitboxes as it was. Craigslist low end finds anyway. DOHC Modulars and Crown Vic 4.6L Modulars seem to be ok.

Ill sacrifice some MPG for stubborn reliability (5.0, 5.8) and an ability to tow a respectable amount when I need to.

7.3 Excursion?

Users who are viewing this thread