Ford GM Stellantis UAW Strike

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
S&P Global Mobility noted that the UAW aims to achieve 100% of its demands and is willing to drag out the work stoppage situation.

If he is right, Ford won't settle either. Ford was just quicker to lay out the maximum it will offer.
They have come off their original wage demands and are now at 36% (still only want to work 32hrs, but be paid for 40). Still a very wide gap.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
The big three should tell them to **** off. It will kill one quarter worth of profits, but what the UAW is asking for will kill the companies eventually.

The companies can easily take one bad quarter, the UAW cannot last more than 4-5 weeks before they run out of steam with the lower members that were just getting by.
Exactly this. Besides... their demands will be even more ridiculous next time around if they cave now.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
If UAW insists on return of traditional pension, long strike.
Yup, and the fact that the UAW already voted to eliminate pensions makes it highly unlikely they'd be willing to die on that hill. And also the fact that the big 3 will NEVER, EVER, EVER agree to take that financial burden back on.

again, the inability of the UAW to see and play the long game on this will be their ultimate demise. They are going all in on this one battle, but will ultimately get destroyed in the war. Unifor recognizes this, and is why they have a new contract and a much better relationship with the companies. The current UAW strategy is just speeding up the inevitable.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Ford cautions "significant" differences remain.

The United Auto Workers (UAW) union strike is spreading to more General Motors and Stellantis facilities.

Thirty-eight General Motors and Stellantis part distribution facilities in 20 states will see UAW members down tools after union President Shawn Fain called for his members to strike from noon on Friday, September 22. According to Fain, the expanded strikes now cover all of GM and Stellantis’ parts distribution facilities.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We were told at this Dealership to expect a slowdown in work. This strike affects thousands of people who are not members of the UAW. The parts guys check is going to be affected due to their pay being based on gross $ sales. The Techs in the shop will be affected ( if flat rate, which most are) due to not being able to get jobs done due to lack of parts. Service writers/Service Managers as well will see loss of income.
I average right at 65 hrs a week. A slow week is 50 hrs, a good week can be over 80 hrs. Last thing I want to see is a 40 hr or less check. Especially when our pay goes up with our productivity. The only people not affected in the Dealership are hourly/salary workers.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just saw the first impact of the Strike here. I need a fuel pump power control module. There is one at the Philly whare-house. We would ordinarily see it next day, but because of the Strike they will not ship and it goes into a "back-order" status. Customer is NOT happy. But our hands are tied. All we can do is tell them to call GM and complain, like that would do any good.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Just saw the first impact of the Strike here. I need a fuel pump power control module. There is one at the Philly whare-house. We would ordinarily see it next day, but because of the Strike they will not ship and it goes into a "back-order" status. Customer is NOT happy. But our hands are tied. All we can do is tell them to call GM and complain, like that would do any good.
I am at the Jeep dealer for my 1 week old Jeep GC (it was actually a loaner) because something is jacked in the fuel filler neck and can’t put gas in from the pump. New filler neck is back ordered…. I can fill it with a can so I told my wife I am going to bungee some old jerry cans to the back with a big sign that says F FCA and UAW. Lol

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Warranty work?

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Warranty work?
Yup.
GM is pretty strict even on non warranty work. You are not really allowed to use aftermarket parts on any repair, It is heavily frowned upon. They waived that requirement for non warranty work today. When we do use non GM parts (Napa, CarQuest, AZ ect) we have the customer pay that invoice separate so it does not show up on the GM ticket. At least that way GM thinks we are in compliance. It is a shit show really. All for "appearances".

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yup.
GM is pretty strict even on non warranty work. You are not really allowed to use aftermarket parts on any repair, It is heavily frowned upon. They waived that requirement for non warranty work today. When we do use non GM parts (Napa, CarQuest, AZ ect) we have the customer pay that invoice separate so it does not show up on the GM ticket. At least that way GM thinks we are in compliance. It is a shit show really. All for "appearances".

In SC I could potentially sue them for breach of warranty if they help out too long on fixing it. I like cases like that.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I am at the Jeep dealer for my 1 week old Jeep GC (it was actually a loaner) because something is jacked in the fuel filler neck and can’t put gas in from the pump. New filler neck is back ordered…. I can fill it with a can so I told my wife I am going to bungee some old jerry cans to the back with a big sign that says F FCA and UAW. Lol

Repair shop I was at this morning said Stellantis is the worst by far for parts of the old big 3 right now,

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Watched a picket line interview from today, the worker was locked in on restoring traditional pension, wages never even came up.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Ford said the UAW has secured concessions on several issues such as the reinstatement of a cost-of-living allowance, conversion of all current temps who’ve worked for Ford for at least 90 days upon ratification of the new contract, plus an enhanced profit-sharing formula that would’ve paid out an increased 13.3% to employees last year.

q6543

Established Member
I did my shift last night and walked the whole picket line…. People are done and want to be back to work ASAP.

It hasn’t even been 2 weeks and they know it’s getting close to Xmas.

Waiting to see if strike pay goes through this Friday, people are also nervous about that as it was kind of chaotic and put together on the fly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread