Ford GT recall!!

fordification

Established Member
If I'm not mistaken, it was the concept design that was rushed to make the 2003, 100th anniversary celebration last year summer. Guess that still only gave them a year to make production but..

Don't they have simulators to duplicate extended durations. For one, the motor goes through a 300hour engine durability test, where the engine is cycled by a dyno through the rpm range between its torque and horsepower peaks for 300 hours to simulate the wear and tear of about 150,000 miles of in-car use. And it took only 3 attempts for a pass. All they found was a stress riser on the crank where the oil pump is driven. So I have a real hard time believing it could be anything engine related, which "BON" states there is defective cylinder heads.

And they have suspension simulators to test long term durability, controlled by hydraulics. The control arm problem YOU WOULD THINK should've been presented in such a extreme circumstances. This is why I think there must be a parts supply issue, where they may have been given some low grade control arms.

Here's a write up I found on the recalls. I'm not exactly sure where the source is.

Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 1904
Dearborn, Michigan 48121
December 16, 2004
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers
SUBJECT: DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD / DO NOT DRIVE: Safety Recall 04S26
All 2005 Ford GT Vehicles
Suspension Control Arm Replacement

DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD: Emission Recall 04E14
Certain 2005 Ford GT Vehicles
Fuel Tank Date Code Inspection AFFECTED VEHICLES

Safety Recall 04S26: All 2005 Ford GT vehicles built at the Wixom Special Vehicle Center from Job #1 through December 9, 2004.

Emission Recall 04E14: Certain 2005 Ford GT vehicles built at the Wixom Special Vehicle Center from October 13, 2004 through November 19, 2004.

Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. In addition, for a list of vehicles assigned to your dealership, visit https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com. This information will be available on December 16, 2004.

REASON FOR THESE RECALLS

SAFETY RECALL 04S26: Ford has identified a quality issue with the suspension control arms on the affected vehicles which may adversely affect vehicle handling in the event of control arm fracture. In the event a customer does not seek service for the diminished handling concern, a crash potentially could occur.

EMISSION RECALL 04E14: In some of the affected vehicles, the fuel tank may not pass applicable state and Federal evaporative emission standards.

SERVICE ACTION

DO NOT DEMONSTRATE, DELIVER, OR DRIVE any of the affected vehicles involved in these recalls. A dealer bulletin with additional instructions will be posted when parts and technical instructions are available in January 2005.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

Owners of 2005 Ford GT vehicles will be contacted directly by a Ford representative beginning December 16, 2004; owners will be advised to not drive their vehicle under any circumstances.

OASIS ACTIVATED?

Yes. OASIS will be activated by December 16, 2004.

FSA VIN LIST ACTIVATED?

Yes

Available through FMCDealer.com or at https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com by December 16, 2004. FSA VIN listings for unsold vehicles will be available December 16, 2004.

NOTE: Your FSA VIN list may contain owner names and addresses obtained from motor vehicle registration records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than in connection with this recall is a violation of law in several states, provinces, and countries. Accordingly, you must limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall action.

PLEASE NOTE

Federal law requires dealers to complete any outstanding safety recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $5,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory prior to delivery

QUESTIONS?

Special Service Support Center (Dealer Only) Questions:...........................1-800-325-5621

Copyright © 2004 FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Published By: Recall/Service Programs Department
Ford Customer Service Division

Last edited:

bishopsales

Performance Lug Nut
Established Member
I first saw it on Blueovalnews.com. WHe Ford says don't drive it, they must be very concerned with these problems. Maybe Ford should have built themselves rather contract out to Saleen.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
this is off topic but very interesting. the gt body panels are made of aluminum and the only way they could make the aluminum in the shapes required was with compressed air. they made a mold of the body panels and put the aluminum over it. the aluminum is then heated and shot with compressed air until it fits the mold. very cool. also, the engine cover has a piece of carbon fiber molded onto the underside of it, an industry first. nothing to do with the recall just stuff i thought was neat about the car.

2814v

Established Member
Sounds like a whole lotta noise about nothing. All car company's have recall's. Honda is recalling hundreds of thousands of accords. But they will not do 205 miles per hour, thats where the dont drive it memorandum comes in to play.

93TaurusSHO

Established Member
Hey guys, I know I dont post on here much, but hopefully you'll take me seriously :p ...but for those of you wondering this recall is exactly as bad as its stated in the article. My dads boss just bought a GT, and tonight my dad tells me tha his boss was on his way to Florida on vacation with his ford GT (towing it of course) and recieved a personal phone call from Ford telling him there was a problem with the suspension, and that under any circumstances should he drive the vehicle. I got on svtperformance looking for this post, because after my dad told me that, I knew something about it would be on here. Just relaying some info to you guys. Thanks guys. Hopefully they get this resolved quickly.

Orange Poison

Established Member
bishopsales said:
I first saw it on Blueovalnews.com. WHe Ford says don't drive it, they must be very concerned with these problems. Maybe Ford should have built themselves rather contract out to Saleen.

I was thinking the same thing....

bizzyb0nes

Established Member
what does saleen have to do with anything? they didnt make the arms? hell they dont make crap thats on their mustangs either...all they did was assemble it. If they can build an s7..they can build a gt

4.6speed

Established Member
A car is a machine with thousands of moving parts built by humans, there are always going to be problems, even more so with high performance cars. Glad to see Ford addressing the problem so quickly.

Jim Seafuse

The Ford GT has had a couple of minor issues the have been a simple dealer fix.
The lastest(the Control Arm) Ford called every owner and told them of the problem.
The told us the date they would have the part and that they would come and
pick up the GT in an enclosed trailer and take it to get it fixed and return it in the
same manner. They have found 1 control arm with a stress crack and no others.
They do not want to take any chances with the rest that are out there.They also
wanted to know if I wanted a loaner while there were fixing the GT. What more
can you ask for??

Vic

Established Member
Kudos to Ford for being pro-active. They caught it real early. Compare that to some brands <cough, cough> that try to pretend there is no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread