Ford GT selling prices, and why they are dropping fast

Ford GT Fan

Established Member
new www.FordGTprices.com website

Here's an interesting site with lots of info on actual selling prices of the Ford GT.

www.FordGTprices.com

Lots of good info, I didn't know so few of the cars had been sold so far.

Last edited:

Vic

Established Member
Thats great information!
Hope they make enough of them for me to get one.

Last edited:

PaulVincent

Established Member
I read the link, but I know for fact that an offer of $220,000 won't buy a GT at more than one dealership. I've got a relative who's made the offer several places within the last ten days and had it rejected instantly.

SVT4ME

Established Member
I think the key to the article if its true is supply and demand. As the demand goes down and supply continues prices will come down. 70 sold a month and 200 made equals a 130 a month excess. Am sure dealers will hold on to them for a while but sooner or later the true market will take affect. Oh by the way I still cant afford one

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
The average # sold vs number made is probably skewed because of many dealer owners keeping their first GT allocation for themselves.

I do agree with the 25K per quarter.

ericbsvt

Hey Paul, have your relative call me, I'll gladly sell you our GT for $220,000. That way, we don't have to sell it to the dealer out of state that wants it. Pm me if you are serious.

ericbsvt

I just read the info on the site, and it looks to be pretty accurate, but I don't think the GTs that were put into demo service or into the owners private collections were counted either(as part of the 279 sold). So the availabililty is there, but I also believe the retail numbers are a little off.

Ford GT Fan

Established Member
Many dealers said they were going to put their brand new 1992 Vipers in their personal collections, too, but I bet not one still has the car.

Most of the cars are just sitting, since the dealers think they are worth $250K, and the buyers don't.

Once the 2006 models hit, watch the hundreds of 2005's rocket down in price.

New update on that site: Over 1000 GTs have been built, but only 269 were sold from August 2004 through April 2005. That leaves 700 cars sitting somewhere, and only 70 cars were sold in April.

PaulVincent

Established Member
eric br,
I just read your post now, and I will likely talk to this relative later today. I'll see what he has to say about your offer, and then we'll both know if he's serious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Florida Chris

Established Member
I agree that prices will continue to fall as more supply enters the market. Eventually an equilibrium will be found. Whether that equilibrium is MSRP (an arbitrary number in and of itself) or another number remains to be seen.

I am not convinced about the Viper analogy. Ford has said they will build the GT for two years only as it cannot meet 2007 federal regulatory requirements. The Viper was never released with an announced limited production run. Hell, they are still building them today...Some dealers will hold these cars for their own collection. Many of these cars will never be titled or driven. Nobody bought a Viper to sit un-driven in a collection.

A Ford GT is not a Viper or a Z01'vette.

Vic

Established Member
Thats a good point, Chris. With such a limited production run, there is different kind of market force at work.

My guess is the prices will reach a low when the 2006s arrive, and there are still a lot of unsold 2005s. After this low point, prices will climb again for new ones, as people realize there won't be anymore built, ever. Imagine sort of a suacer-shaped price chart, with fall/winter of 2005 at the bottom.

Florida Chris

Established Member
That sounds like a reasonable assumption to me. I also believe that the post recall serial numbers will be more valuable than the earlier serial numbers. I for one did not want a car "fixed" at the dealer and held out for a post recall production car before writing the check.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
No, but what they could -possibly- do is build a bunch of frames and VIN #'s before 12/31/06 and leave them sitting around like Shelby supposedly did with the CSX 4000 series Cobras.

I don't know if there are laws that would prevent companies from doing this now though. Just a possibility that Ford may be able to do it.

NFS

Established Member
Eric br, I tried to PM you, the system said your not receiving PM’s
Please PM me. with a contact number or E-mail address.
Thank you.
NFS

Ford GT Fan

Established Member
3000 GTs is ALOT of $150,000 cars! Vipers were down to MSRP after about 1000 cars were made.

There are not 3000 buyers that will be willing to pay $50K over sticker for the cars.

Maybe the price will end up $10K above sticker, they may be able to find 3000 buyers like that.......

A loaded, in-stock GT just sold on eBay for $195, see http://www.FordGTprices.com

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
A GT sold on Ebay for 185,000 in late February.
The week before that one went for ~190,000.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread