Ford IDS Question

helloWorld

Established Member
Hello guys, I have my car at Ford right now to check out some misfire issues and they called me and said that their scan tool can not get into my car and read anything. Something about access can not be had.

I have a tune from AED administered through my SCT X4 handheld. Is there something the handheld could have done to block access?

AKDMB

Established Member
Yes, some tuners mess with the strategy to where the tune cannot be read, AED does this with all their tunes. It's so other tuners can't "steal" the tune and see the changes that have been made to the file. I'm not sure how tuners do this with SCT, it's like they change the strategy name and write the tune I guess. Whatever it is, it confuses other software such as HP Tuners or the IDS apparently, during the read and you can't pull the file. You should be able to return to stock and be ready to go.

Last edited:

AKDMB

Established Member
I kind of found an explanation for how the tunes can't be read over on HP Tuners forum. I know the below example is HP Tuners software, but I imagine it confuses IDS just the same.

"There are some tuners that have edited the strategy ID in the tune to something different (a valid strategy, but not the actual strategy used). Since our software loads the definition based on the strategy ID, it loads the incorrect one, and that is why the values look screwed up." - Eric @ HP Tuners

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...er-to-change-the-read-to-give-inaccurate-infp

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

There is no need for the dealer to read the tune file.
They should be using the IDS to diagnose the problem and gather data, nothing more.

helloWorld

Established Member
Well whatever the issue, Ford could not hook up the IDS to read anything. Something about identification error.

I am simply going to return my car to stock and hand it to them. Yes, I am catless and the stock tune might cause even more issues, but it is worth a try.

5lho

Established Member
You'll be ok taking it down there. I ran drove back from Ford after my ECM bricked on the stock tune with a Vortech blower. Obviously I didn't pound on it but, it drove ok enough to get home.

Users who are viewing this thread