Ford is being sued for the stalling (someone finally died)

rskdsk

Established Member
I heard from a friend that Ford is being sued. Appearently, a guy was driving with his wife, approached an intersection, car stalled, guy was t-boned and died, wife is claiming car stalled just before intersection. Anyone no anything about this? Is this true? Did'nt someone hear predict this was gonna happen? Looks like Ford may actually pay attention to our stalling problem now. Look at the NHTSA web site, so many complaints, Ford will definatley have to settle that one.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
While it is a shame someone had to die and a further shame ford will likely not address the issue. I for one would argue that knowing the track record of my car and that it does stall very consistantly IF I cost with clutch in or car in nuetral for an extended period of time. With that in mind, I dont coast. Does it suck that I cant coast without car dying? Sure as hell does, but I am not going to keep trying to coast knowing damn well it stalls and risk my life just to prove a point to ford.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I wonder if this lawsuit has anything to do with the Cobra stalling problem. I bet it's a TFI issue. Anyone who owned an '80s - early 90s Ford should know all about TFI modules getting hot and causing stalling at random times. Ford has already been sued for that multiple times. There was even a settlement for all Ford owners that ever had to replace their TFI module.

TFI Settlement

-Greg

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I think the stall is being caused by the increased operational parasitical drag imposed by the eaton supercharger being more then the motor can handle at the low set idle speed. I have not stalled once since I went with the KB and my car idles solid now.

DEADLYSVT03

Established Member
mine had stalled a couple of times when I first bought it....never went in for service of the problem....just disappeared by itself...

satin silver coupe
engine built 6-1-02
car built 6-11-02
delivered 6-28-02
#456/8394
1 of 242 satin coupes built-lowest production # of all coupes
plenty of money spent on stuff.....

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
For me the stall isnt random, I can make it happen now that I know the conditions under which it occurs. Under normal circumstances the VSS should keep idle up if car in in N or clutch depressed. It does this but only for a short period of time. I can coast up on exit ramp off the free way and it will usually die by the time I coast to the top. Same thing at the drag strip, once I trap, if I push in clutch, and coast to end while braking it will die. If I downshift, even partially and dont coast for a long period of time the car will not stall. My guess would be there is a duration that the VSS keeps idle high when moving and after that duration idle drops and if your moving it appears the airflow into MAF seems to cause a problem.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I love the gurgle and pop sounds from my bassani exhaust when downshifting...exactly! Why coast? (But I do understand that this is a problem)

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Mine has stalled a couple of times but it seems to idle @ 1K RPM when I coast, drops back to 750 after I stop moving.

-Brian

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
I think the stall is being caused by the increased operational parasitical drag imposed by the eaton supercharger being more then the motor can handle at the low set idle speed. I have not stalled once since I went with the KB and my car idles solid now.
The opposite on my car..never stalled with the Eaton, but stalled like a mofo when the KB was installed. I raised the idle to 900-1000 to stop it. Only a temp fix till i take it to JDM to see what they can come up with.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by stevieb
Why do you want to coast anyway?
Its a lot less wear and tear on the tranny to coast than to drop through the gears. Wanting to coast or not is not the question or concern of the day, the point is I should be able to coast if I want to and not worry about the car dying on me.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Xplicit
The opposite on my car..never stalled with the Eaton, but stalled like a mofo when the KB was installed. I raised the idle to 900-1000 to stop it. Only a temp fix till i take it to JDM to see what they can come up with.

Did you check your TPS and make sure it is at .98 volts at idle? My idle is set to 700 rpm with the TPS set to .98 volts and it idles solid. Make sure you disconnect the IAC when you set the idle. I also have the accufab TB.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
Its a lot less wear and tear on the tranny to coast than to drop through the gears. Wanting to coast or not is not the question or concern of the day, the point is I should be able to coast if I want to and not worry about the car dying on me.

Very true. Has everyone noticed that when you start to coast, your idle stays at around 1000k, then drops to around 700 five or six seconds later? Now imagine the power that the brakes draw once you engage them to slow down, and if your turning at the same time, how much power the steering pump draws from the engine...if the car were to stay at a higher idle instead of dipping down so fast, we wouldnt stall.

coleman

Established Member
Xplicit, and mine is the exact opposite of yours... never a stall with the KB & their chip. But used to stall every once in a while with the eaton, 2.8, & diablo tune.

I did get a new TB along with the KB.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u

Its not just the 03's my 01 has done it since day 1 of its life.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
Very true. Has everyone noticed that when you start to coast, your idle stays at around 1000k, then drops to around 700 five or six seconds later? Now imagine the power that the brakes draw once you engage them to slow down, and if your turning at the same time, how much power the steering pump draws from the engine...if the car were to stay at a higher idle instead of dipping down so fast, we wouldnt stall.
The idle stays high due to the VSS(vehicle speed sensor) telling the EEC the car is moving and thus keeps idle up for a time, as you have noticed. In my chip the idle is set high and stalling is greatly reduced but I am determined I can still get it to stall and it always does so before a turn so PS and PB draw on engine is nonexistant in my case. My thoughts however are that if the idle was kept up due to movement sensed by the VSS for a longer period of time then they would not be dieing.

Users who are viewing this thread