Ford left out this design

mavisky

Established Member
I did a Shelby tribute by putting lots of performance into my car and pulling out weight. For me, Shelby was a simple guy with a passion to go fast, and look badass doing it. But go fast. Then worry about the look.

Maybe in the 60's, but by the 80's he was more about stickers and bodykits than he was developing bespoke performance parts. Now the Shelby SAI cars are just bespoke bodykits with parts catalog performance with a huge markup.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
So with the badge it came with it wouldn't look like a "GT350(R) wanna be stang?"

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
So with the badge it came with it wouldn't look like a "GT350(R) wanna be stang?"

From the rear, you took away its identity. It could very well be a ecoboost stang with some 350 parts.

Not saying it looks bad (car looks great) but looks off without the badge IMO.

CO Mack

Established Member
Maybe in the 60's, but by the 80's he was more about stickers and bodykits than he was developing bespoke performance parts. Now the Shelby SAI cars are just bespoke bodykits with parts catalog performance with a huge markup.

I actually wish the GT350 was branded a SVT Cobra personally, but this is bullshit. Shelby built one of the coolest 80's cars and plenty of stuff after.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/1986-dodge-omni-shelby-glhs-instrumented-test-review

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
From the rear, you took away its identity. It could very well be a ecoboost stang with some 350 parts.

What are key design elements that every Mustang must have?

Kemal Curic said:
Great proportions and stance, the shark-bite nose profile, the recognizable silhouette (fastback) and the tribar tail lamps.

Curic didn't pen the design with respect to stickers, stripes, or badges. This was about the shape.

01-Ford-Mustang-Design-Sketch-by-Kemal-Curic-16-720x459.jpg

Everyone here can readily identify the silhouette in a nanosecond. And you see all of about zero tacked onto the sketch up above. And it is that very shape that I was drawn to when clay models started to show up. Far from complete, anyone knows what they are looking at.

IMG_5249.jpg

Perceptions run the gamut. If my world view was limited to caring about what others think or see I would never touch a thing on any vehicle. Thankfully, I care little if the lack of an added badge somehow causes confusion as to the model. If someone doesn't recognize the rear fascia, quad pipes, etc, and the lack of shiny nomenclature causes instant befuddlement, I have done my job. The horse has been led to water. They'll have to figure it out from there.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I don't think he meant some other car trying to look like a Mustang. I think he meant a lesser Mustang being a wannabe GT350R. I've seen quite a few GTs and Ecoboosts with aftermarket GT350R parts thrown on them to mimic the look. With your car, a novice observer will be excited thinking they're seeing an R. A more experienced observer will wonder why you debadged an R. An enthusiast is going to spot the subtle differences and try to label you as a poseur. It'll be a bit of a letdown at car shows. Not that you care. Just giving some examples of thought processes from outsiders.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
An enthusiast is going to spot the subtle differences and try to label you as a poseur. It'll be a bit of a letdown at car shows.

Apparently I'm no enthusiast. I guess if I was I'd wonder why R owners were posing as non-R's when they add the rear seat kit of the non-R offered by Ford Racing. Or when they add 6GR wheels to look like a non-R owner posing as an R owner.

If a part adds functionality or performance I don't care where it came from (I'm not referring to country of origin or copycat manufacturers here). That's why I have numerous parts from Ford Racing, Ford, Borla, Caliperfexion, etc, or I have fabricated my own. If some schlep at a "car show" wants to label me or the vehicle I drive as something that doesn't meet his or her standard so be it. If that's an enthusiast I'm glad I'm not one. I'm too busy trying to emulate another "poseur," a body in white that the queen never dubbed either.

D1506WGI4022WGA.jpg

Did I miss the holy symbols in the rear GT350 badge?
Poseur? Lol.

Yes.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I just got my black stripeless GT350 about 3 weeks ago and I'm torn on this subject. I agree with the sentiment that these cars look good without a lot of badging, but I also think mine needs a little something. The question is what. I'm 55 and have been wanting a Shelby since I was 14, so now that I have one I'm also wanting a little more satisfaction by seeing the Shelby name somewhere. After all I have wanted one for 40 years. I'm very seriously considering Matt black stripes with red pin stripe borders, but what I'm torn on is rocker stripes with SHELBY text. The last thing I want to do is make the looks of the car too busy, but I still think it needs something.

Go for it!!! Personally, I like Le Mans sripes on a Shelby. I think they help define a Shelby. And, I like the rocker stripes as well. There are kits out there so search around for ideas. Make it yours!

Tom

gjcavana

Established Member
Go for it!!! Personally, I like Le Mans sripes on a Shelby. I think they help define a Shelby. And, I like the rocker stripes as well. There are kits out there so search around for ideas. Make it yours!

Tom

Thanks Tom,
I am still looking around and trying to exactly what I want to do. Yea there are lots of ideas out there and I agree, make it yours!

CO Mack

Established Member
Apparently I'm no enthusiast. I guess if I was I'd wonder why R owners were posing as non-R's when they add the rear seat kit of the non-R offered by Ford Racing. Or when they add 6GR wheels to look like a non-R owner posing as an R owner.

If a part adds functionality or performance I don't care where it came from (I'm not referring to country of origin or copycat manufacturers here). That's why I have numerous parts from Ford Racing, Ford, Borla, Caliperfexion, etc, or I have fabricated my own. If some schlep at a "car show" wants to label me or the vehicle I drive as something that doesn't meet his or her standard so be it. If that's an enthusiast I'm glad I'm not one. I'm too busy trying to emulate another "poseur," a body in white that the queen never dubbed e

Seriously. The arrogance I've seen with some of the comments regarding Tech/Track/R is ridiculous. They're just friggin' Mustangs people. Outside our little sphere nobody cares anyway.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
What I did too my non R car might be offensive to R owners.

Put the R steering wheel on and the R red calipers ..... did it for specific reasons none being that these were R parts.

Cars are an extension of our personality and some people dress sloppy and others dont. And again ... what is sloppy? My opinion might differ than Tob's perspective. I dont like the SHELBY name plate on the rear trunk lid. HATE IT .... but people do it and thats ok. Tob's car in my taste of cars is off the chart beautiful. Its coincidence we have the same color GT350, but I love the stripe delete and the badge less rear end ..... well done Tob

Users who are viewing this thread