ford lightning towing

JHodges

Established Member
I am planning on getting a lightning in about a year. That is when I finish school. I will use it as a daily driver and a tow vehicle. It will be towing an 18ft car trailer with either a 65 mustang drag car or the 72 Maverick grabber I am building. They each weigh roughly 3000lb and the trailer is 2000. By what I have read on this and other forums it should be fine but wanted to make sure. I would like to move up to a 24ft enclosed but I figured that might be a little much. I have seen some of you pulling trailers that big but had air bags under them. How did it pull a large trailer or camper trailer. By what I have read on here it should pull the enclosed ok if I put air bags under the rear and take it easy. Thanks for any help and I hope to get a lightning soon

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
About the only "weak" spot for a Gen2 is the rear suspensions leaf springs. They are a bit soft. Especially the 99-02 years. As long as the tongue weight is not too much you'll have no problems.

If it is you could do the bags, or air shocks, or swap out the springs.

Rich

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
I pulled a 18' with the wifes Jetta on it,350 miles up and down the hills of central GA. with my '99. No problems at all.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
picture.php

Pulled this puppy with my lowered 04. Trailer was loaded to the roof full of my sisters stuff that she wanted in Denver about 7:45 hr drive, 535 miles one way over 1070miles total in one trip. Had everything from a lawn mower and a punching bag to a full sided refrigerator and a washer ans drier pair, and what seemed like 500=lbs of clothes in the bed. The caltracs (and the tandem Axel) I think helped allot, because it only lowered my rear-end 1/2in max, and I had it set to be slightly heavier on the tongue side.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The enclosed trailer is too much. Towing 5k you need to be careful, it can put a lot of stress on the tranny. Too much tongue weight can cause handling issues too.

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
The enclosed trailer is too much. Towing 5k you need to be careful, it can put a lot of stress on the tranny. Too much tongue weight can cause handling issues too.

The 4r100 is found in the 3/4 and 1 tons. It will be fine. Tongue weight, handling issues and for me pulling the launch ramp. Traction issues.

Ralph50

Speed Addict
Established Member
I guess it all depends on how much towing you are going to do.

I can pull my 17 foot boat (around 3,000 lbs with trailer/gear/gas etc.) around all day but wouldn't consider towing a 23 foot boat all day even though I have done it twice.

You can tell difference in ride when you tow with a 250, 350, 2500 or 3500 truck.

I have put up to 2,000 lbs in my bed but borrow my buddies 2500 when I had to put in
3500 lbs.

I love my L but if you need tow every weekend look into the turbo diesels. Better fuel economy and more space.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The 4r100 is found in the 3/4 and 1 tons. It will be fine. Tongue weight, handling issues and for me pulling the launch ramp. Traction issues.

Trust me, in stock form the 4R100 was not that great even in heavier applications. The torque of a modded engine and stress of the weight will be rough on the tranny.

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Trust me, in stock form the 4R100 was not that great even in heavier applications. The torque of a modded engine and stress of the weight will be rough on the tranny.

I agree with you. It will hold up with more than regular maintenance. What I have seen out of them they either last or they need to be gone through at 60k. They are pretty tough.

JHodges

Established Member
when I get an enclosed trailer I will probaly have dad pull it with his 79 f-350. I emailed the trailer place and a 24ft enclosed weighs 3500lb empty. We have several cars and trailers so I will pull the open one

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
I pulled a 5x10 enclosed trailer with my bike and could feel it pretty good - mainly in the rear jounce and braking. I have since bought an 06 F-150 4x4 for towing. I suggest ya do the same. The L is good in a pinch and that is about it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
when I get an enclosed trailer I will probaly have dad pull it with his 79 f-350. I emailed the trailer place and a 24ft enclosed weighs 3500lb empty. We have several cars and trailers so I will pull the open one

The wind resistance is the big issue, not really the weight when it comes to the tranny. That trailer would really overwhelm the suspension too.

JHodges

Established Member
I will probaly try and find a 90's 3/4 or 1 ton for a work truck and use the lightning as a driver and toy. It would be the nicest vehicle I have had and I wouldn't want to mess it up

fishingfox

Established Member
I towed an older (heavy) 20' Champion Bass Boat on a tandem axle trailer on weekly basis for about five years. Estimated trailered weight is ~3,500 lbs. My lightning has 2" shackles, airbags, FTVB, 6# lower and stage V ported Eaton. The lakes I go to range from 70 to 180 miles round trip with some long fairly steep climbs. Add the Arizona heat and it still does a great job. Never had any issues.

Changed the tranny fluid every 25K. Recently added a F-350 Super Duty tranny cooler, but used the stock one until this year.

I don't beat on it, but I don't baby it either. Just do your maintenance and it should be fine.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I will probaly try and find a 90's 3/4 or 1 ton for a work truck and use the lightning as a driver and toy. It would be the nicest vehicle I have had and I wouldn't want to mess it up

What's your budget for a hauler? Those OBS Fords have really held their value.

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
I tow my 20 ft Baja boat and haven't had any problems. I don't have that much tongue weight but when the weight shifts at cerain moments, trying to steer can be a little light.

Users who are viewing this thread