Ford Racing lowering springs

Iank

Established Member
Has anyone here tried out the Boss specific Ford Racing lowering springs? I love the look of a lowered Mustang, but I take my 2012 Boss to trackdays, and I am not sure if changing the springs would hurt the handling of the car. Would the different springs affect the way the adjustable dampening settings work?

86Fbody

Established Member
If you change springs, IMO, you will want to change the shocks and struts at some point. I put P springs on my car and the shocks couldn't keep up after lowering the car.

legos_mustang

Established Member
100% True if you own a Mustang GT or V6. As for the Boss with the already adjustable shocks and struts, my answer would be a "Maybe". Several of the springs out there really don't lower the Boss much at all, especially in the front, and if you get a chance to look at their spring rate, it isn't too much different.

In a GT or V6, your shocks and struts would not be able to keep up with the damping required, would ride like crap, and would burn up the shock or strut in a short period of time.

For the Boss, it depends. It's possible you could find a setting on your shocks or struts that will make you happy with your new purchase. It probably won't last nearly as long as it would with stock springs, but if you are on a limited budged, it is possible.

It also depends on how you drive it, but if you bought a Boss... that shouldn't even be a question.

86Fbody

Established Member
What shocks and struts do you guys think would be best?

Koni's IMO.

100% True if you own a Mustang GT or V6. As for the Boss with the already adjustable shocks and struts, my answer would be a "Maybe". Several of the springs out there really don't lower the Boss much at all, especially in the front, and if you get a chance to look at their spring rate, it isn't too much different.

In a GT or V6, your shocks and struts would not be able to keep up with the damping required, would ride like crap, and would burn up the shock or strut in a short period of time.

For the Boss, it depends. It's possible you could find a setting on your shocks or struts that will make you happy with your new purchase. It probably won't last nearly as long as it would with stock springs, but if you are on a limited budged, it is possible.

It also depends on how you drive it, but if you bought a Boss... that shouldn't even be a question.

I guess it does depend on your shock settings. I was running the fronts at 5/5 and the rears 2/5 which was fine with the stock springs, with P springs it was like I was slamming. Once switching to Koni's I can run 2 turns front and 3/4 turn rear and it drives perfectly. I know the settings probably aren't comparable but I had lowered the compression on the stock shocks and they still were very harsh, I don't think they could keep up after the 1 inch drop and stiffer springs.

Users who are viewing this thread