Ford racing M-5230-m58 exhaust

rsilver

Established Member
Hi, I am a new member and have only had my o4 vert since december of 04.
I have read a lot of posts on exhausts and done a search but I haven't read anything about the ford racing 5230-m58 system. Since I want something real quiet, but with an upgrade in performance (with a CAI). Anyone know anything or have a sound clip? Thanks very much.....bob

Ps I spent 4 years on third gen.org tuning old camaros. What a pleasure it is to
deal with a factory blown car with an ECM from the 21st century!

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
this would be the FR500 exhaust, one of the more quieter ones actually compared to Bassani, Borla, SLP, Mags

rsilver

Established Member
mad, thanks for the reply. I am confused about this.Why do they call it the fr500 ? I don't see anything where it says 500 in the part number. Also, the dealer told me this exhaust exited out the side rather the the stock location. Sounds like the dealer doesn't know s*** but I don't either. The only Fr500exhaust I have seen is for earlier models cobras not the 03-04 models.
But, I am new so I can't help asking a few dumb questions.

Even though the exhaust is supposed to be quiet, is it worth it to spend $500 on it with only a CAI? I want a quiet exhaust and am only intersted if it will compliment the CAI.
thanks for any comments anyone has..........bob

J15BIG

Established Member
the FR500 was a mustang that ford racing put out to show its ability to create the "ultimate high performance mustang"
more about it here:
http://jwfisher.com/sec-ford/FMC-concepts-prototypes-showcars/frpp_fr500/press/fr500_press.htm

they sell parts that they originally made for the FR500 as upgrades to regular mustangs. from the pics on that link it doesnt look like the exhaust exits from the sides. could be wrong. although im sure i have read on these boards that guys have bought the fr500 exhaust for their cobras which would mean it doest not exit from the side.

almost any aftermarket exhaust system you buy for the cobra is goin to give you more power. the fr500 might give you a little less power then say the stingers or bassani, but you will still gain over stock.

rsilver

Established Member
thanks guys. you all rock and that sound clip was very very helpful.
I like the sound, so I think for me its gonna be a K&n fipk and fr500 exhaust.

glad to be part of this site. thanks again..........bob

Users who are viewing this thread