Ford screwed up and I need some help

FastazzL

Hot Potato Handler
Established Member
Well, I decided to change the plugs out on my lightning tonight. This was the first time that I have changed the plugs but I had the plugs changed about 20K miles ago by my local ford dealership. I started on the passenger side and got the first 2 with no problem. When I got to the 3rd one back, it seemed like it would not come loose. I worked it a little but it would not come. I could tighten it back down but no matter what I did, it was not coming out. I had a mechanic look at it and he said that the plug was cross-threaded and the head looks like it is going to need to be pulled. My question is how do I prove to the ford dealership that this was their screw up and not mine. I feel that since they are the ones who cross-threaded the spark plug, they should be the one to fix it at no cost to me. What is the best route for me to take so that I have the best chance of ford covering all the costs of the repair? I am planning on going to the dealership tomorrow but since it is the weekend, I don't know if they will be able to do much about it. If they do say it was their fault and fix it, should I be entitled to a rental car as well? This is the first time I have had a problem like this and I need to make sure that they fix their mistake. Thanks.

AJ

Last edited:

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
Yea thats a bit of a tuff call. I'm sure the dealership will not admit fault in there wrong doing. I guess it depends on the dealership whether they would believe you. You could try being honest and approaching the service manager and explaining what you found. If the truck is still under warrenty then I believe you may have a decent chance. If its out of warrenty, I doubt the dealership would pay out of there pocket to fix your truck, let alone give you a rental car.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
If it's their mistake and they own up to it (good luck with that), then they should give you a loaner. I hate to say it, but you may end up biting the bullet on this one.

Disintegr8or

Established Member
svt_boy85 said:
go to the dealer for another plug change.....when they say its cross threaded tell em to fix it since they put the plugs in last time ;)
Yup, put the old plugs back in, and go back for another plug change....when they say it is cross threaded, show them your work order where they changed them last time. They can even check what Tech did the work, and have him fix it, if he is still there.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Disintegr8or said:
Yup, put the old plugs back in, and go back for another plug change....when they say it is cross threaded, show them your work order where they changed them last time. They can even check what Tech did the work, and have him fix it, if he is still there.
i also agree with this, put the ones you took out back in and go back to ford and have them do it

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
sounds like the best course of action.
Disintegr8or said:

fixious SVT

Which way?
Established Member
the dealership should also have the information in thier database. they keep that stuff for historical purposes.

ShockTherapy

Established Member
Disintegr8or said:

Be sure and put the other plugs back in, then do that....

OH-MAN

Established Member
It is unfourtunate that thi is the best way, but they will deny the mistake"Hey it ran for xxx miles didn't it" is what they will tell you.
put them back in and when you pick it up act suprised.

thubigdawg

GO CANES!!!
Established Member
OH-MAN said:
It is unfourtunate that thi is the best way, but they will deny the mistake"Hey it ran for xxx miles didn't it" is what they will tell you.
put them back in and when you pick it up act suprised.

yeah but thats a different story. the plug works fine. when they installed it that they cross threaded it.

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
Hopefully they don't just cross thread in the new one. Not sure how you'd catch them in that without saying you tried to pull it.

FastazzL

Hot Potato Handler
Established Member
I found out that the guy that worked on my truck last does not work at the dealership anymore. :bash: Good news it that I found out that somebody I know does work there and I can request him to change the plugs. Hopefully, he will let me know the truth about what it is going to take to fix the head. I think for now, I'm going to put the old plugs back in and take it to the dealership in a few weeks for a "routine" plug change. That should give me time to talk to the mechanic and get his opinion as well. Thanks for the input guys.

AJ

HardChrome

Established Member
I agree with the above said. But if your Ford dealership is anything like what I have here in Plantation, FL. You maybe in for a fight to get them to fix the problem. If they don't want to own up to it. Call Ford and file a formal complaint. Then contact the better business bureau and file a complaint there also. This will get the ball rolling and hopefully solve your issue. Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread