Ford Studying Aussie Import

super-roo

Established Member
Ford Studying Aussie Import

Detroit automakers seem to have a thing for Australia. And with the Holden-based Pontiac GTO soon to hit U.S. shores, Ford insiders tell TheCarConnection they’re actively considering import options for the Australian-made Ford Falcon. Like the Holden Monaro/GTO, it’s a rear-drive muscle car, a breed that has not only survived but thrived down under despite near European-level fuel prices. It could provide a companion to the long-lived Mustang, and as with the GTO, might also revive a legendary nameplate that, in this case, hasn’t graced a U.S. Ford product in decades. The current version of the Falcon is equipped with either an in-line six or Ford’s high-output V-8, also used in its big F-150 pickup. Ford’s North American product development boss Phil Martens tells TCC such a project is “a twinkle in everyone’s eye (but) not in the cycle plans at this time.” But you can bet Ford is watching closely to see what happens with the revival of the GTO. —Paul A. Eisenstein

ok, the thing that is becoming more and more apparent as these falcons hit the road ,the XR6T 4.0L I6 DOHC turbo is a "GEM", several performance shops have done minimum mods, eg slight boost increase and cat-back exhaust and the results are an easy 400HP :eek: with still plenty left to go!!! , yes a turbo 6 !!!

here is a video of a stock XR6T (340hp).... click here (warning the video is quite loud) WMV9>>>1.6mb

Tired

Needs 4 more cylinders.
Established Member
Bring the Falcon here, with the Aussie 302, and ill trade in my Focus without thinking twice. Big muscle sedans are cool. :thumbsup:

Edit
Nice video. :-D

Last edited:

faylo

Established Member
I was over there in the fall of '92 when they were introducing the Falcon. I have a couple of mags that have reviews of the Falcon GT and the racer that was to replace the Ford Sierra. Both were impressive. I was always amazed at the number of V8 powered cars in Sydney and the gas at about $4.00/gallon. Also, at that time pollution controls were almost non-existant. Don't know about today though.

Users who are viewing this thread