Ford Tech. Test drive after service?

Lomancobra

Established Member
I was wondering if it is standard operating procedure for them to administer a test drive after reseting the computer.

I ask this becasue I brought it in today due to the check engine light coming on. The day after i scheduled the appointment it went off, but I went anyway for other small problems like seatbelt and window squeak. I get my car back and notice they put on 5 miles. So I ask if they wash the car off the premisis? He said no, so then I asked where they took it, and he said that they test drove it to make sure the check engine light didnt come on after they reset it. Maybe I'm wrong, but couldn't they just let the engine idle to see if the light would come back on? I'm just wondering if I am over reacting here, but I don't think there was any reason some Tech should be driving my car for this type of service. Should I do something about this? Thanks

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Yes, they could just let the engine idle to see if the "check engine light" comes on, but then they wouldn't be able to take your car out and flog it...:bash: Good rule of thumb: If you take your car to the dealership (especially a flagship like the Cobra) don't be suprised if some knuckescuffer drives you car. They probably look at it like a right of passage...If you don't want them driving it then dont take it to the dealership/or give them the keys to get it on the rack, then get the keys back while you're waiting inside the customer lounge....Good Luck

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
You are correct to have a concern. Click Here to see my recent encounter with Ford. I called the service manager and voiced my concerns about the mileage and he assured me if I brought the car in anymore that they would not road test the vehicle without me being present. It's a good thing I only work 5 minutes from them. Best of luck :beer:

Lomancobra

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I guess in the future I will just assume that they will be looking for any excuse to go joy riding. On top of that I guess JERRY"S FORD IN ANNANDALE VA. wont be getting my business anymore.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
I just had my Cobra in for a rear end oil leak.
They tightened the rear cover, road tested it
inspected, saw leak still there, then put in a
new seal, then road tested again to check.
They put 10 miles on my Cobra, but I didn't
think they did anything but try to fix it.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
If you don't want your car driven without you in it, take the day off and hold the keys while it's there. Excessive test drives happen all the time and there's not a whole lot we can do about it.
Mine was taken by a tech who didn't have permission or any reason to take it. He just wanted to flog an 03 and it never crossed his mind he was doing something wrong.
Luckily I found out about it. ;-)

SC457A

Established Member
quite a few sensors do nothing at idle... sometimes it is needed to give the vehicle a drive cycle, let the vapor mangment system work as designed.. not everything "cycles" idling. the eec-5 set up is real picky.. will set engine light for a lot of different things

my dealership has a set rule.. safety or driveline repairs require min 4 miles drive... have seen MANY check engine lights come on due to the tech not driving vehicle... makes for a very unhappy customer when we say its fixed and the light comes back on 2 mins after leaving shop

Lomancobra

Established Member
Originally posted by SC457A
quite a few sensors do nothing at idle... sometimes it is needed to give the vehicle a drive cycle, let the vapor mangment system work as designed.. not everything "cycles" idling. the eec-5 set up is real picky.. will set engine light for a lot of different things

my dealership has a set rule.. safety or driveline repairs require min 4 miles drive... have seen MANY check engine lights come on due to the tech not driving vehicle... makes for a very unhappy customer when we say its fixed and the light comes back on 2 mins after leaving shop

I guess I could sympathize with that . . .

TruBlu03

I get all tweaked over this crap to, but I realize that test drives are needed from time to time. The key is knowing when a valid test drive is called for and the mileage needed. If you stay on site there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't go with them. Might be a good idea to get the service manager to give you a written and preferably signed copy of their service guidlines as related to test drives. We don't want to stop them from doing what they need to fix the car, just the asswipes using any excuse they can to get some thrills at our expense. If it happens we usually find out after the fact and I don't know if there is much we could do about it. Racerat was a rare case where the jerkoff actually got caught, should get Ford to use that as a poster child of what NOT to do at all dealerships.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Rather than worry about it, I now take work with me and instruct them in writing that no test drive is to be taken without me. And I note the mileage to the 10th of a mile in my own writing.
JW

Users who are viewing this thread