Ford to Build Shelby Cobra?

Paul Vincent

Established Member
I got cut this from The Detroit News. Take it for what it is worth. I just hope it is true. Corvette Forum.com has photos; I hope this works. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=723618

Bill Vlasic, The Detroit News 1-4-04
We showed the GT as a concept, and we built it,” Mays said. “We showed the Mustang, and we built it. We’re showing the Cobra, and you can take it from there.”

Last edited:

fordification

Established Member
Hmm, can't decide if I like it or not. Looks like it has a worried look from the front view.
67shelby02.jpg

67shelby09.jpg

Paul Vincent

Established Member
We don't know that the GT will have less than 600 hp. We'll have to wait until they are out and tested. Some have already stated that it must have in excess of 600 hp to produce the numbers that it has for some of the magazine tests.

wannacobra

Future Job...
Established Member
i think that if they do build it than yes the only worried look will be from GM and Dodge b/c of their precious supercars wont have as much hp as this one. also i think that the GT will have around 500 to 550 maybe :shrug:

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
It would be nice to see them produce this car, but I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the front end. The rear looks great, but the front looks like something from Honda or Nissan...

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Shelby concept

Paul,
I've thought alot about this car after doing alot of internet research (yea, I am not very busy at work).

The GT is 500hp/500lbs torq and is $140,000. Everyone will agree it is a great car with a great history (Heritage is a beautiful thing when used wisely). No one can argue that the old GT-40 has no USA car that can equal it's 1,2,3 finish at LeMans and the only American car to win the World Champonship.

But can Ford offer another supercar that offers 100 more HP (with the advertised 6.4L V-10, w/600p) with a $50K less sticker? I am not so sure.

They've announced 4500 GT's will be built over the next 3 years. Is there room for another supercar?

No arguement that the old A/C Shelby Cobra's will never lose their place in history, but they never won LeMans. They never won the W.C. No doubt, they were very succesful in sports car racing.

I know of two (old) Shebly Cobra's that have sold in the last month. One going to Switzerland, one back to England (due to the strong Euro vs. the dollar). Both sold for around $150K.

One thing we all should agree on. Bill Ford and the other gearheads at Ford are certianly creating alot of excitment in the performance car market (and a few nice trucks, also)

my 2 cents:beer:

Black99GT

Established Member
I'm not too keen on the front end. Overall, IMO, the car has too much of an industrial look. But I do like how they handled the rear fender bulge behind the cockpit. Basically, I feel the front end leaves something to be desired. It's too flat... needs more fender bulge and a less "heavy" (for lack of a better term) look to me. Also, where are the sidepipes? Sorry, but to me it's got to have the sidepipes to be a Cobra.
But I'll definitely take one if someone else is buying! Haha. Hellacious powertrain. Yes please.
Steve

Last edited:

Paul Vincent

Established Member
1995CR, I really do believe that the GT will have more than 500 hp/tq. That being said, there is room for both the Shelby and the GT. The Shelby is not even suppose to have a top. This alone will make a difference for some. And, for the wealthy, having both cars will be the only way to go. What I'd like to know is how much the Shelby will cost. I say at least $80,000.

Last edited:

Paul Vincent

Established Member
TLC's "Rides" will be on tonight 1-16-04 at 1:00 a.m. eastern and they'll be rebroadcasting Codename: Daisy. This is the show which features the Shelby Cobra. If you miss this showing, the next two times to catch it are: 2-22-04 at 10:00 p.m. eastern and 2-23-04 at 2:00 a.m. eastern. To me, the Cobra looks much better on video than in still photos. It was a good program and well worth watching. As for the $80,000 price I mentioned above, I now wonder if the price might be far more. By the way, they mentioned 193 mph top end and 3.7 for zero - 60.

Last edited:

fordification

Established Member
Originally posted by Paul Vincent
By the way, they mentioned 193 mph top end and 3.7 for zero - 60.

605hp, 2800lbs. The only limitation is the aerodynamics mostly due to the open cockpit.

Z-COBRA

Bling & Zing
Established Member
Shelby Cobra

I watched the show of this car coming to life last night on the Learning Channel "Rides".Believe it or not Fords name for this project was "Daisy" great show and I'm sure they will run it again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread