ford yet again betrays its most loyal customers

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
SID297 said:
It's not just the name that's trademarked, it's the context with which that name is used. I can't leagally produce a car and call it a Mustang, but I can leagally produce a beer and call it a Mustang

That is EXACTLY what I was going to say.

As a graphic designer, I always have to be careful with designs. It is VERY easy to tread on copyright/trademark laws if you aren't careful.

Guess what? If you snatch a pic off the internet, and use it in your sig, unless you have permission to use that pic, you have violated copyright law. Now, if someone sued you, they have to show DAMAGE was done to them by the use, or that you profited by use of the pic.

Now, take that same picture, modify it (make it greyscale, run a few filters on it, basically make the pic unrecognizable). You have made that picture your own artwork. How much should you change the artwork? Well, there are various percentages tossed out there, from 60-80%. Basically, if it passes the man on the street test (a number of random people on the street, show original pic and your artwork, and ask if they are the same picture. Majority needs to say "no" and you are OK)

Anyhow, I digress.

Is Ford within their rights to go after people with the word "mustang" in their company name, and selling stuff in the car market? Yes, they are. But is it in their best interest to be doing it so aggressively? I don't believe so.

A few years ago, www.thedieselstop.com was known as www.powerstrokediesel.com (I believe). Guess why they changed their name...

00 Aggie

Its just a slow vert...
Established Member
Yeah, I remember that, mostly becuase my best friend has been a huge Seahawks since the mid-80's. A lot of those fans wanted to know why Texas A&M suddenly decided to sue the Seahawks in 2006 in the midst of their Super Bowl run instead of back in 1986 when the Seahawks retired the #12 jersey while they were still in the Kingdome as a tribute to their fans.

Suddenly 20 years later, in the middle of a media spotlight A&M levies this issue which hadn't been a problem for tha last 20 years.

That was fine, they weren't selling 12th mand stuff or spouting off about it. A&M actually started going after them years ago, it just got in the spot light because of bored sports reporters.

Users who are viewing this thread