Found this under valve cover

2003_lightning

Established Member
Got a motor out of a wrecked one today to do a swap in my lighting and pulled the valve covers to see how it looked and found what appears to be Chips from drilling? This is in the very back of the rigt head. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 398
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    943.6 KB · Views: 389

2003_lightning

Established Member
I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully it's nothing. I pulled the oil pan and there was nothing in it or stuck to the puck up tube.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Hate to say it, but I would not install without a tear down and flush of block. Need to find the source.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Hate to say it, but I would not install without a tear down and flush of block. Need to find the source.

It would be wise to take it apart and check it thoroughly. Unfortunately with these engines debris like that could take out the block, heads, and cams for a total loss. I spun a bearing and it leveled the whole thing. It does look like some drilling was going on, hopefully it's just random debris that got in thru the pcv valve.

5lho

Established Member
I'd say it was swarf from drilling out the valve guide holes that somehow got left behind when the block was tanked at the factory. Look closely and see if any of the valve guides have been repaired or if they all look the same though.

If all looks ok and oil pressure, compression is good, no other debris found I'd chance running it but, I got guts.

Last edited:

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Cut open the oil filter and see if there is any debris. If its completely clean cross your fingers and turn the key, if you see any metal in there........ start tearing it apart. Best of luck.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
you said there was ZERO metal of any kind at the bottom of the oil pan? If so that filter should be absent of it too.
You might be ok..

Users who are viewing this thread