Fox Body insight

LSwat

Established Member
Been on the mustang scene for a wile, but I am not very familiar with these fox body's. A friend of mine is looking to get one (87 - 93) and I was wondering what some key things are to look for in these machines when browsing the market.

How long do the motors typically last?

What are they prone to?

Common issues to look for?

Common rust spots?

I'm aware of the basics, but just like any performance car, I'm sure there is an Achilles heel and that is what I am concerned with looking out for.

Thanks for any insight. :beer:

MelloStang

Established Member
Common rust, lower doors check the seams in the door jam area on the bottom ,doors arent made yet just skins, also the torque boxes, check where the 4 control arms mount in the back they are prone to failure from 20 yrs of hard action, the motors are roller cam and last a long time but 20 yr old engines are a crap shoot ,check oil pressure and temp when its been running a bit, and if its 87 or 88 its speed density so if hes into heavy mods he'll want one already converted to mass air or he will want an 89 up , the 89 is the only year with mass air and no air bags if that is an issue, and the 93 cobra has hyperutectic pistons so adders specially nos can cause havoc, otherwise its forged pistons and have at it.If he doesnt mind the aod cars are cheaper but the aod is a bit of a damper with stock build, done up the aod is nice but the t5 is plentiful.Hope this helps a bit .

Last edited:

LSwat

Established Member
Common rust, lower doors check the seams in the door jam area on the bottom ,doors arent made yet just skins, also the torque boxes, check where the 4 control arms mount in the back they are prone to failure from 20 yrs of hard action, the motors are roller cam and last a long time but 20 yr old engines are a crap shoot ,check oil pressure and temp when its been running a bit, and if its 87 or 88 its speed density so if hes into heavy mods he'll want one already converted to mass air or he will want an 89 up , the 89 is the only year with mass air and no air bags if that is an issue, and the 93 cobra has hyperutectic pistons so adders specially nos can cause havoc, otherwise its forged pistons and have at it.If he doesnt mind the aod cars are cheaper but the aod is a bit of a damper with stock build, done up the aod is nice but the t5 is plentiful.Hope this helps a bit .

absolutely, all great insight. Thank you!

Keep it coming! :rockon:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Typically the 5.0 will last as long as any other engine, it all comes down to maintance and if it was abused. I have seen them last well over 200k. There was a article years ago of a over 200k mile motor fox that they were spraying the piss out of. It lasted longer then I thought. They are very tough motor. Typically the only issues with them are oil leaks in the oil pan rear main and timing chain. Typical ford though. They are damn good motors, and that is why 14 years later I still love them.

Users who are viewing this thread