Foxbody blowers...

mustangglx

Established Member
Ive never really had any exposure to supercharged foxbodys, Ive always gone all motor with my cars . I want to go FI on my next project (347 EFI 89 hatch). Its going to be a street car and I want to run between 10 and 15psi. What ild like to know is what all the pros and cons are of the different companies, and which kits are the best bang for the buck. thanks

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
mustangglx said:
Ive never really had any exposure to supercharged foxbodys, Ive always gone all motor with my cars . I want to go FI on my next project (347 EFI 89 hatch). Its going to be a street car and I want to run between 10 and 15psi. What ild like to know is what all the pros and cons are of the different companies, and which kits are the best bang for the buck. thanks
If you are building a street car, and want tons of torque st 2000-3000rpm, I say a twin screw. If you are going to run lots up in the 5-6000rpm, youll probably make more HP with a centrifugal blower.

blownaltered

Established Member
twin screws are sh*t on fox bodies, I've seen a bunch and the numbers are horrible. Not sure a Procharger F1 is what you need if your only wanting to push 10 to 15 pounds, the D1 would work great and give you plenty of power, would recommend going to an 8 rib setup. You can buy and 8 rib for a procharger or buy a vortech or a paxton, both those already have 8 ribs

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
mustangglx said:

First of all, get that boost monkey off of your back. Don't make the mistake alot of blower owners make and get all caught up the numerical value of boost.

Say 500rwhp is your goal. Would you rather make it with 5psi or 15psi? Of course, you rather make it with 5psi because that means your motor is more efficient. Saying you want to run 10-15psi for the sake of running it is ignorant.

Research, research, research. Make sure all your part selections work TOGETHER. Meaning, same powerband and power levels. If you decide to run a centrifical blower (Vortech, Paxton, ProCharger) you will want an intake, cam and heads that will make their power in the upper rpm levels of your power band.

Often you see guys making bad choices mismatching their selections without their goal and/or total package in mind. Longrunner intakes , with high RPM cams, short runner intakes with low power band cams knowning full well they plan on putting on a blower.

What's the compression ratio of this 347? Heads? Cam? Intake? The specs on all these items must be considered.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Without stressing about all the BS, look into a Vortech or Novi series. Both will work very well whether you have all the big heads cam and intake, or if you're running more mild stuff.

Whatever you do, don't run the Kenne Bell. Yeah, it'll be torquey, but you'll have detonation issues until you pull it off two months later and switch to something else. 5.0's are not like the modulars, and don't seem to like the twinscrews as much.

mustangglx

Established Member
im planning on going with a lower compression forged 347, CHP has a blower ready set up with 8.5:1 compression. Im not to deep in the project yet, right now im in the planning stages, i would like to make between 500 and 550 rwhp, I was looking at the pro charger D1SC, but like i tried to say and someone foofkiller maid clear i am fairly ignorant to this world, im trying to gather up information from first hand users right now

BLK93GT

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
Without stressing about all the BS, look into a Vortech or Novi series. Both will work very well whether you have all the big heads cam and intake, or if you're running more mild stuff.

Whatever you do, don't run the Kenne Bell. Yeah, it'll be torquey, but you'll have detonation issues until you pull it off two months later and switch to something else. 5.0's are not like the modulars, and don't seem to like the twinscrews as much.

It's not that they do not like them..it's the lack of intercooling that is the issue.

BLK93GT

Established Member
mustangglx said:
im planning on going with a lower compression forged 347, CHP has a blower ready set up with 8.5:1 compression. Im not to deep in the project yet, right now im in the planning stages, i would like to make between 500 and 550 rwhp, I was looking at the pro charger D1SC, but like i tried to say and someone foofkiller maid clear i am fairly ignorant to this world, im trying to gather up information from first hand users right now

Vortech S-Trim or SQ-Trim or T-Trim, Paxton NOVI 2000, or ProCharger P1/D1.

With that motor and around 13lbs you should make in that area of power with any of those blowers. The ProCharger seems to build boost faster in the revs to me from personal experience. I swapped out a P1SC for a S-Trim on a friends car and it is just as fast with the non-intercooled Vortech as it was with the ProCharger. It seemed to have more low-mid range power with the ProCharger though. The nice thing with the ProCharger is the fact it is intercooled though, more timing can be ran and less of an issue of heat soak as the IAT's stay MUCH lower obviously. Vortech does offer there Aftercooler though, and that may even it up in that aspect.

I have driven a NOVI 1000 car but not a 2000. They are awesome blowers as well.

With good flowing heads/intake and depending in the cam the actual boost you "see" will be dependent on that. My friends car with the S-Trim and 2.95 pulley sees 13lbs at 6000rpm with ported TFS heads, Stage 1 cam, Holley intake,and 8.5:1 compression. He has not dynoed the car but it runs door to door with a 520+rwhp '05 GTO that traps 120+.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Those are all good blowers. I'd suggest the T-trim if you're going Vortech, the Novi 2000 if your'e going that way, and the Procharger D1SC if you choose that one.

The bracketry on the Novi is top notch. It's thick and very well built. I've installed two of those kits and was WAAYY impressed. The D1 is a good blower and is self contained so no oil lines, and I think is an intercooled kit. I'd study up on each and make a decision based on what fits your needs.

The smaller blowers listed will get you there, but they'll be at their limit. The bigger blowers leave room to grow, and that's why I suggested those. I've always made more power when I went bigger and spun them slower, this was with both superchargers and turbos.

mustangglx

Established Member
I know I was talking superchargers, but how about HP Performance single turbo kit, how well do these kits perform?

John and Renae

Established Member
All the superchargers mentioned will get the job done for you given the power level you are looking at.

Remember if you are using the stock 302 block at the 500-550 rwhp level you need to make sure your tune is spot on to keep the block in one piece. It will live, but make sure you have a good tuner.

I have a preference to Vortech as that is the blower I have run in the past. I had an A-trim and eventually an SQ and I can tell you I could not have been more pleased. Durable as all get out, no problems, ran like stink...

Never pushed past the 440rwhp zone myself but mine was intended to be a street car 99% of the time...

bangballs

Established Member
what cam r you going with,, that is the main part.
vortech if you decide to go with that one there are many different kinds,,v1, v1s,, v1sq (that stands for super quiet), t-trim, ys,ysi , they also have tuner kits that dont come complete, if you decide vortech i would say the s trim good street and strip,
if you decide pro charger they have good kits but they are driver side mounted and self contained (oil),,,, dont need to tap the oil pan,, those are some ideas you need to do the research for your preference, and dont forget the bigger the blower doesn't mean your going to go faster or put up bigger numbers.hope that helps a little

01Lowboy

SPTZCLNT
Established Member
look up the user Novi357 he can help you out

"89 Coupe, Procharger F2 Blown and intercooled 427 stuffed under a stock hood.

It only looks like a 13 second car! "

that's his sig. I've seen his car go 9.33 on an 18" drag radial

Last edited:

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
just curious, why 347? a 331 would easily do it with 8psi if built right and (flamesuit) on paper has better rod ratio, lower piston speed at said rpm, etc. honestly if all you want is 500 rwhp look into a n/a windsor and if your brave a n/a windsor with solid rollers...now thats some serious power!

but if it were me...
boss block 331
afr 185's or vic jr's
victor efi manifold
9:1 c/r
novi
thats just me

393Bird

Seniors Gone Wild
Established Member
I just installed a Vortech Renegade YSi on the drivers side, and can vouch for how well Vortech's mounts are made. I have been building cars for over 50 years now, and have come to expect after market stuff not fitting correctly. This is not the case with this unit. Every piece was machined propperly, and bolted up perfectly. The only problem I had was fitting my Mark Vlll fan, but the fan and the SC kit were not designed for this car.

radin2.jpg

The fuel system will go in next.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
I am running a T-Trim with a powercooler on 93 Cobra heads, Cobra intake, and E-303 cam. With all the supporting mods my car put down 500 RWHP through a 65 MM TB.

Blower are alot of fun, but also alot of headache. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread