FR 500 Exhaust!!!

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I hope you guys check out the article in MM&FF about the FR500 catback install on a 2001 Cobra. The car gained 13+ RWHP and 15+ RWTQ. This is just from the catback! The car had no other mods at all. Ford claims the secret is in the dual mode mufflers, but you gotta love the X after the mufflers. At any rate it seems like a natural for the newer Snakes.

I also was elated to hear that the FR 500 heads are now available from the FRPP catalog! FINALLY!! Now all Ford needs to do is make the 5.0 spray bore block that sits under those heads readily available for a reasonable price.

CbrCpe

Established Member
I hope you guys check out the article in MM&FF about the FR500 catback install on a 2001 Cobra. The car gained 13+ RWHP and 15+ RWTQ.
...sounds good to me! I've had mine on since last spring:D

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by CbrCpe
...sounds good to me! I've had mine on since last spring:D

Where did you buy the Fr500 exhaust kit? I have been looking and havn't been able to find them.

Thanks, Brian

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
MM&FF had a cop that had bought it for his '01 cobra (bone stock) but they didn't say how he got it or how much it was. Can you say, "saving up for that". I would imagine it will be fairly expensive though, but it'll be worth it.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Which MM&FF... I thought I just got the new one... where they did the Bullit Dyno with BBK Headers, and Catback? What is on the cover? Is this the same issue... and I missed it?

Thanks!

PS I just installed my Borla Cat Back, Iridium Plugs, and Holley Air Filter... with the gains that the FR500 Cat Back did... If I don't pick up at least 15HP & 15 TQ... I could be a bit dissapointed!

I am going to try and get it on the dyno tonight.

Worst case scenario... I will get it dynoed tomorrow.

Peace,
Dave

CbrCpe

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R

Where did you buy the Fr500 exhaust kit? I have been looking and havn't been able to find them.

Thanks, Brian
...I bot mine at Glen Evans Ford for 599...It was dropped shipped from Ford Racing in Mich...Here's a couple of pics I took during installation...since the pics were taken, I have blacked out the x section & tailpipes w/hi-temp black paint so they blend in with the gas tank when looking
from the rear...looks better IMO...
Pic 1 Click Here
PIC 2 Click Here

Last edited:

MineralGSVT

Established Member
I have seen it listed in Dugan's new Bible, and the Ford Racing Catalog..

Looks a little pricey.. ~$650.. but it does add some power..

How does it sound??

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by MineralGSVT
I have seen it listed in Dugan's new Bible, and the Ford Racing Catalog..

Looks a little pricey.. ~$650.. but it does add some power..

How does it sound??

who cares, I'm gettin it.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Dave Schotz
Which MM&FF... I thought I just got the new one... where they did the Bullit Dyno with BBK Headers, and Catback? What is on the cover? Is this the same issue... and I missed it?

No the new one has the S281 Extreme on the cover. I just got it this past thursday.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by quick01snake

who cares, I'm gettin it.

-That's my attitude! lol Gonna have to save up about $600 here..:-D

edit: I took the plunge & bought the Magnaflow catback via a group purchase, so I saved about $200 that I can apply to other mods :) Oh well....maybe the FR500 catback will meet my cobra down the road if I feel it's time for a change in "sound" :cool:

Last edited:

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Well guys... I dynoed my Borla Cat Back... picked up about 14 HP, and 7 TQ... to the rear...

Don't know what the MM&FF car made for total numbers.. but I am now at 299 RWHP, and 296 RWTQ

Check out the attached graph it shows before vs after...

CobraDyno3.jpg

Last edited:

CbrCpe

Established Member
...does anybody know it the MM&FF dyno was std corrected hp...I haven't seen the article yet...if it was std, then the SAE corrected numbers will be lower:( Vendors like to use std corrected so they can 'puff' their claims...

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
CbrCp....
The numbers were STD... so your are right... the claims are probably a bit high... STD vs. STD means nothing... since they don't correct for anything... If it was 90 degrees when they did the first dyno run, and 70 degrees when they did the after results... the numbers would obviously be skewed.

Has anyone independantly tested one? I see you have one... did you by any chance do a before and after?

Thanks!

Dave

fangstang

Established Member
I was gonna put either a bassani, borla, or magna flow cat back on my cobra, but since hearing you guys talk about this fr500 exhaust, I think Im gonna wait for the new issue of MM&FFF and make my decision then. :-D

CbrCpe

Established Member
Dave...I haven't re-dyno, yet...but I do have a stock baseline of 280.1 rwhp SAE corrected...ArvinMenitor, the manufacturer of the catback said to expect ~8rwhp gain...SAE corrrects to pressure=29.23 in/hg./tempature=77*F,humidity=0....and STD corrects to 29.92in/hg and temp @68*F, therefore STD corrected will show higher rwhp relative to SAE...

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
CbrCpe... Exactly... I was trying to say that the 'Actual #'s' from the STD would be lower, when converted to SAE...

We are saying the same thing. ;)

sssSnake 01

Established Member
I don't think that the manufacturers correct to standard day conditions to puff up thier numbers, but rather to correct them so that everyone is talking apples to apples based on a level playing field. If not, you always have to describe the climatatic conditions and let people draw their own conclusions.

POINTCOVER

Established Member
Not to get off the subject.....BUT.........I've never heard of a VRS X -pipe. I've been looking at the Bassani and BBK, but VRS? What does it stand for? Where can I check it out? HELP??? I'm supposed to buy my Bassani next week!!!!:-?

Users who are viewing this thread