fr500 questions

vita

Established Member
hey guys... im able to pick up a set of 4v fr500 cams for about 400 bucks.

other than a tune, what else is needed beyond to have the cams put in on a 99 cobra? Lifters? springs? what sizes are required?

vita

Established Member
I have a friends near me willing to help me do it... just going to be a learning process for both of us. would a handheld be able to tune properly or would you say I need a dyno? I know a dyno run would make it more efficient, but the closest one for me is about 4 hours away.

01strokersnake

Part Time Race Car Driver
Established Member
new spring retainers might not be a bad idea either. just because you don't need them doesn't mean they won't help prolong the life of other parts.

Last edited:

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
I have a friends near me willing to help me do it... just going to be a learning process for both of us. would a handheld be able to tune properly or would you say I need a dyno? I know a dyno run would make it more efficient, but the closest one for me is about 4 hours away.

It would be fine on the stock tune but there will be a decent amount of horsepower left on the table (10 - 15) without dialing in the timing and wide open throttle air/fuel ratio.

A hand held can get you where you need to be if you buy one from a reputable tuner. They can pre-load it with a baseline tune that will be very close. Through the hand held you can datalog many different parameters and email the file to the tuner for refinementbut you will also need a stand alone wideband to find out where your air/fuel ratio is. From their you can make adjustments.

Don at LaSota racing is a favorite of the Mustang community and sells the SCT hand held and wideband equipment for $379 and $279 respectively. If you're trying to save a few bucks you can buy a used SCT hand held that has been unlocked on this or other forums (or ebay). Don can send you a tune for $50.00. Used hand helds go for as low as $100. Widebands can be purchased used as well.

New spring retainers wont increase the valvetrains longevity.

Last edited:

bluesnake01vert

Established Member
hey guys... im able to pick up a set of 4v fr500 cams for about 400 bucks.

other than a tune, what else is needed beyond to have the cams put in on a 99 cobra? Lifters? springs? what sizes are required?

That is a really great price from what i can tell, where did you find the cams?

Users who are viewing this thread