Frame straightening?

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
I'm looking into buying the Griggs CWC Frame Kit, but was wondering, would it be

beneficial to have the chassis professionally straightened before welding in

chassis stiffeners? My car (04 coupe) has about 80k street miles on it, and the

doors dont close quite right. They're just a little bit sticky. I've adjusted the

latches in the doors, but thought it would probably be worthwhile to pay

someone to straighten the car before I, essentially, lock it in to whatever shape

it's currently in. I like to do things right the first time and be done with it.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
SN95 ('94-'04 Mustang) chassis' are comprised of a front subframe, rear subframe, and a bulk headed unibody. I'm not sure how you would go about removing the twist(s) in the chassis that may be causing your door latch issues. Perhaps taking the car to a reputable body shop to have the striker plate and/or door(s) realigned may help. Has the car ever been wrecked?

To obtain some sort of rigidity in an SN95 the first modification is full length subframe connectors. The said Griggs kit includes upper (above floor) and lower (below floor) subframe connectors as well as rear bulkhead stiffeners. Unless this is a competition vehicle, I think the price advantage of the Complete Frame Kit is worth noting.

The next step would be a 4-point K-member brace which come on convertibles from the factory, not the coupes, followed by a proper roll bar and/or cage. Final step: seam welding the entire chassis.

Last edited:

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
The car has never been wrecked. I called the tech dept at Griggs and the guy told me that it may be worthwhile to have the trueness checked, but it would probably be within spec if it had never been in an accident. I suppose, for the doors, I'll check the bushings and see if they've just worn down over time, then readjust the latches and strikers.

Users who are viewing this thread