Franklin's Barbecue in Austin

Jbstang87

Established Member
Making a trip down to the Lone star state next week. I am going to be in Austin for a day. Any tips on what time to get there. Will probably be going on a friday. Tips on what to order? Am I going to cream myself?

starnsey

Established Member
Probably need to get there around 9:30am or so. I went a year or two ago on a week day and I think that's about the time we got there. May be different now. Meat is pretty damn awesome. Wasn't a huge fan of any of the sauces though. I ****ing love Salt Lick though.

o2gt

Established Member
Not sure what you should get but my parents live outside Austin.my dad loves BBQ I think he would eat it everyday, loves going to the new places. He really liked franklins. Most people really like salt lick also, personally I think the meat is good, I just don't like the sauce. I can recommend two other places if you have time and don't mind a drive. RO's outside bee caves tx I love the sausage and fried okra also opies in spice wood is great.

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
get there EARLY!! the line get long fast!! order the brisket, it is what they are famous for IMHO. sausage is damn good too.

and add another vote for salt lick as well. place is amazing!

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I had barbecue in Austin ages ago at this little hole-in-the-wall place. I can't remember the name, but it was busy as hell, the guys behind counter were working their tales off getting the orders filled, and the food was awesome. They had one dish called the T-Man Special. What it was was _everything_ all mixed up on one plate. The owner said a trash man came in every day when they were still struggling to make it when they had first opened, and that was what he ordered. So they named it after him. Wish I could remember the name of the place.

I used to run up to Austin all the time in the late '70's. I met Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble before they hit it big nationally. Back then he just called himself Steve Vaughn, and he didn't wear all the jewelry, and he was a great guy, so were the guys in the band.

Last time I went Austin I didn't even recognize the place, apart from the food and music and the landscape of the Texas Hill Country, it's like any other big city, now. Which is to say: it's not like anyplace else on Earth!

starnsey

Established Member
Ah yes, County Line rocks the mutha****in' house as well. One of my favorite things to do is drop a kayak in at the 360 Bridge and kayak up Bull Creek with some beers in a cooler to County Line and get some BBQ and margaritas.

I had barbecue in Austin ages ago at this little hole-in-the-wall place. I can't remember the name, but it was busy as hell, the guys behind counter were working their tales off getting the orders filled, and the food was awesome. They had one dish called the T-Man Special. What it was was _everything_ all mixed up on one plate. The owner said a trash man came in every day when they were still struggling to make it when they had first opened, and that was what he ordered. So they named it after him. Wish I could remember the name of the place.

I used to run up to Austin all the time in the late '70's. I met Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble before they hit it big nationally. Back then he just called himself Steve Vaughn, and he didn't wear all the jewelry, and he was a great guy, so were the guys in the band.

Last time I went Austin I didn't even recognize the place, apart from the food and music and the landscape of the Texas Hill Country, it's like any other big city, now. Which is to say: it's not like anyplace else on Earth!

You're talking about Bert's B-B-Q. There are a couple of locations around Austin.

BlackOutUT

Established Member
get there EARLY!! the line get long fast!! order the brisket, it is what they are famous for IMHO. sausage is damn good too.

and add another vote for salt lick as well. place is amazing!

If you really want some good BBQ, drive about 30-45 minutes south of Austin to Lockhart or Luling.

Luling City Market ~ Real Texas Bar-B-Que

Kreuz Market | Lockhart, Texas Barbecue and Sausage

Both of these...

Mi Madres for breakfast tacos... Do it. You'll thank me later.

yoda

Boost Lee Roy
Established Member
Also, if you can venture up to Georgetown, monument cafe is AWESOME

This! I live in Georgetown and love that place. I was dissapointed with the Salt Lick. I'll take Franklins over it any day. The wait sucks but the food(brisket) is great.I also like Juan in a Million for breakfast (Don Juan) on east ceasar chavez.

Users who are viewing this thread