freeze question?

PonyGlued

350R wannabe
Established Member
Hi folks

gonna get unusually cold tonight they say down to zero. Both my vehicles are protected to +10 degrees. So my question is would my coolant just freeze like an icy slush, or would it freeze solid and enough to do damage

thanks guys !

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Hi folks

gonna get unusually cold tonight they say down to zero. Both my vehicles are protected to +10 degrees. So my question is would my coolant just freeze like an icy slush, or would it freeze solid and enough to do damage

thanks guys !

Your good if you have anti freeze

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Hard saying, inspect the fluid in the radiator and find out. Contents in exposed hoses might freeze faster than the mass in the radiator. Then again the radiator might reject heat faster than the hoses and freeze first.

PonyGlued

350R wannabe
Established Member
yea thanks guys, I would go out there and do a complete change, but there's like a fresh 1 1/2 foot of snow and 12 degrees out. I guess I'll get up later tonight and see what under the cap looks like at 0 degree F

Jack Burton

Established Member
I've never had a problem with coolant freezing and It was fairly common for me to have to start my vehicles in -30 and colder.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
My daily driver sits outside all year so my wife's car and my Mustang can stay dry and "warm". Last week the high temp here in Iowa was 5 and we saw an average of -10 with -45 wind chills. This week it was 30s and you'd swear it was a heat wave.

Car sat all weekend without being driven and all fluids were fine. If anything, its your battery that takes a beating and I'm assuming you live in a typically warmer climate so my main concern would be if there is less use of batteries there with good cold cranking power - I'm assuming its fine though.

But yeah, I have antifreeze in radiator and after cooler and in the Cobra all winter, and it does fine without driving it and it sees 10 below frequently even in the garage.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

PonyGlued

350R wannabe
Established Member
well I'm totally not worried now after reading your responces, I'm not even going to look under the cap at 4 in the am...Just to be safe though I'm putting my kids pet rabbits under the car tonight, the snow blanket should keep their heat in, when they do what rabbits do :rockon:...thanks for all the help

1-22-2014001_zpsc1049daf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread