Freshening up the Hood Insulator :)

9snakebite6

Banned
Ok...so every time i pop my (v6) hood, I see this gross black/brown insulator....so today ive decided i had enough of it. So i cleaned it first, then dyed it black so the brown stains or w/e would b "gone", and the attempted to paint the letters "COBRA" (PITA:cuss:) ...just figured i'd share yet another....bad idea i had lol (o and i include a picture of the hood w/out the insulator b/c i read old posts where ppl asked if its painted or not under there)
2576701_37_full.jpg

2576701_36_full.jpg

2576701_34_full.jpg

2576701_35_full.jpg

2576701_33_full.jpg

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
looks nice. I prefer all blacked out but nice.

Underhood insulation just weighs you down though...j/k

Hoosier4.6

Established Member
Always wondered, any real reason for that insulation? I feel like heat would escape faster without it, plus I too hate the grungy look it's got. Not to mention my JLT rubs BAD on that damn blanket. Any reason I shouldn't just rip it out?

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
good question, I guess the cobra imprint is kinda cool. I don't think there would be a temp. problem. does the slot go all the way through the hood:??:

hawkti

Established Member
Depends on how much you value your hood. I'm pretty sure that with no insulation there, the engine will cook your hood. ie. paint possible bubbling, sh/t like that.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Depends on how much you value your hood. I'm pretty sure that with no insulation there, the engine will cook your hood. ie. paint possible bubbling, sh/t like that.

My 00R hood has been on and hasn't had an insulation blanket on for 2 years with no issues.

And through all the FL sun.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
i think the insulation is to help drown out some of the motor noise, and im also not sure that its not something for lightning strikes. I think i am completely wrong on that but i heard it somewhere. Anyway i took mine off when i got my new hood and i have no problems.

The paint turned out nice though

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
The purpose of the hood insulation is to help smother a fire if one were to start in your engine bay.

01vert

Established Member
On this smothering fire theory, where did it come from? never heard of an engine fire being smothered by one and the plastic tabs holding it on look like the exact same ones that are used throughout the car. Don't think they would melt easily under heat.

Users who are viewing this thread