Freshwater Fishing in VA

FutureCobraGuy

Established Member
I live in Hampton, Va and I love to freshwater or saltwater fish. I am really hitting freshwater hard this year. I went last Sunday and fished form the shore at the Mariner's Museum. I was throwing out jerk baits and crank baits and worms. Fish were jumping out of the water all over but I wasn't hitting on crap. Anyone fish freshwater? The water temp was 55 degrees and I know bass like 60-80. I am going to go back Sunday. Any tips?

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I crappie fish a lot....but they haven't really spawned here yet either....water temp is still around 52-54 up here in IL as of last weekend....

FutureCobraGuy

Established Member
I tried a litter color and a darker color worm setup but no spray. I need to pick some up. I did use natural color cranks and some dark brown color cranks too. I want to get some fishy Sunday :) They were jumping out of the water for God sake. I had a medium size popper out there and moved it real nice for a while with nothing.

Tispho

Established Member
Use dynamite. Oh wait, I think thats illegal in Virginia.

Time to buy a boat and troll?

bright blue

Established Member
Think of the strike zone. Colder water, smaller strike zone, warmer water, bigger. Right now, in KY the water temp is in the mid to upper 50's. With this try fishing in the 8-10 ft. range, along the northern banks that have access to deeper water. Bass will soon hit pre-spawn, then things will pick up. Right now, try throwing jigs with plastic trailers, that has been the magic bait for the past 2 weeks for me. Try fishing from about 11 am to 3-4 pm. This weekend will be good. Saturday and Sunday both, after we get away from this low pressure and colder weather. Fish will be moving to spawning flats soon, and that will create the perfect time to fish. They are staged right now between the deeper water and these flats. When that water hits lower 60's, then the fish will chase more. You are just a few weeks away from pop-r time. Good luck and happy fishin! :beer:

Also look for smaller coves that run up to shallow water right now. These coves warm up a lot faster than the main lake. Look for bass to start hitting these coves, and the bass in those coves WILL chase, so crank baits and jerk baits work well.

Last edited:

drex

Off The Line
Established Member
Think of the strike zone. Colder water, smaller strike zone, warmer water, bigger. Right now, in KY the water temp is in the mid to upper 50's. With this try fishing in the 8-10 ft. range, along the northern banks that have access to deeper water. Bass will soon hit pre-spawn, then things will pick up. Right now, try throwing jigs with plastic trailers, that has been the magic bait for the past 2 weeks for me. Try fishing from about 11 am to 3-4 pm. This weekend will be good. Saturday and Sunday both, after we get away from this low pressure and colder weather. Fish will be moving to spawning flats soon, and that will create the perfect time to fish. They are staged right now between the deeper water and these flats. When that water hits lower 60's, then the fish will chase more. You are just a few weeks away from pop-r time. Good luck and happy fishin! :beer:

Also look for smaller coves that run up to shallow water right now. These coves warm up a lot faster than the main lake. Look for bass to start hitting these coves, and the bass in those coves WILL chase, so crank baits and jerk baits work well.

x2 this is sound advice, and I be ready to catch some fish my damn self.

FutureCobraGuy

Established Member

Now i'm excited!!! i'm going saturday and/or sunday at 11:30 until 4. I'll keep you posted. I am going to put some pics up too if i get something!!:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread