Friend looking for cobra, looking for advices

Bigggy

Established Member
Hi guys, a friend of mine is looking to buy an 03 cobra and we would like to have advices from knowledgable people. The car a 73000miles US "totaled" title but repaired (very common here). It has upper, exhaust (x + cat-back) drop springs, few gauges, sub-frame connectors, center-force clutch. A maintenance was made few weeks ago, including diff, trans blower oil etc. The seller is asking 20g$ (in canadian dollar) which IMO is pretty high for not being a clean title car. I've paid mine, 3 years ago, 15k at 98000miles, clean title with a good list a good mods.

So my friend looked at the car and notice a weird knocking sound coming from the blower, I later told him to remove the belt to see if it was coming from the blower or not but was not at the car anymore. He also asked for compression test (which he does not have the results yet). The shop where the maintenance and dyno tune was done seems to be reliable and they told my friend that the car is square and strong, should be a good buy.

So the seller comes back saying that removing the plugs and putting them back in needed 2 thread repair (Helicoil). The seller is saying to my friend that this a good preventive move and that it would be stronger like which most of the guys with these heads do. To me, this does not make any sense! My understanding was that you only use that in worst case scenario, not to "improve" the threads. I think that the seller is full of sh*t and we would like to have inputs on that.

Since the beginning I did not like that seller nor the car and I discouraged my friend from buying it. He always wanted a terminator and dreamed about that car for years, literally drooling over mine. My friend and car are located 3h from me so I can't really go there and take a look at the car. My friend bought a clean fox last year and would trade in this car for the cobra.

I'm no mechanic but knows a trick or two (I do all my wrenching including clutch, suspension whatever) and I also know these cars in and out. So with this sound, helicoil etc I really feel that this car could be a money pit.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
That seams high for a rebuilt title even if the car was in perfect working order. That head will have to be fixed properly down the road and the blower making noise I would recommend not getting this car.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Taking 4 thread heads to 9 thread is a common practice done. I can't say it's worth it but it is done. However, I think he's using this as an excuse. Run.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
priced way to high for a wrecked car should be less than 15k with no issues and this one has issues....
i say walk away and find something else. tell him its worth the drive for the right car

Bigggy

Established Member
Thanks guys! Well he bought it anyway...and now still asking me questions. I'm about to tell him..look, you wanted my inputs and did not followed them, maybe ask the seller for details on cobras he might knows them (not).

He just found out that the 2 side scoop are not the same, at least now he know which side was wrecked lol (yeah cause I told him).

I really don't want to wish him any bad luck....anyways thanks guys for your inputs, I was sure to get that kind of responds from here.

Users who are viewing this thread