Front Brakes

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm looking to upgrade the front brakes because one of my calipers seems to be having a mind of its own. Does anyone know where I could find a set of 00 Cobra R calipers? looking to upgrade calipers only to then get a set of FTBR rotors.
All I can find is complete sets with rotors and stainless steel lines, I have ss lines already.

any ideas appreciated, I wouldn't mind a larger brake if someone knows what fits and is still within a reasonable price range.

thanks
Ana

iismet

Established Member
Didn't they only make 300 Cobra R's?

brake_kit_140-7191-med-lg.jpg

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront.aspx?itemno=140-7191&year=2003&make=Ford&model=Mustang&option=GT+Models

This with H compound pads works well for the money. The street version (140-9107) we never got to work. It stopped the car great, but constantly cracked rotors at Portland. That went away when we went to this caliper - I would guess a third more mass.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
still looking for brakes, anyone know if the 00 Cobra R Brembo Caliper is the same as the 2011 Mustang GT Brembo Caliper?
I could get a set of mint condition Brembo calipers out of a 2011 GT for a fair price, the strange thing I noticed that the calipers are black, so they may even be the GT500 Brembos.

Not looking to buy a complete Cobra R kit as I won't use the Brembo rotors and already have SS lines. So Calipers is all I need.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
The 2011 Brembo's are not the same as the Cobra "R's" they use 14" rotors so you are going to need 18's. The pads are much bigger also.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
thanks for the answer. I do have 18" Wedsports.
Wonder what brackets I would need to fit the calipers and what rotors, I want to go with the FTBR rotors.

wmfateam

Established Member
I think I commented on one of your other post. Honestly, the standard GT calipers and Raybestos ST47 pad is more than enough. Unless you are about bling or pumping up a build list.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
a little pricey, but....
http://www.fullytorquedracing.com/mustang/newedge/sn95-gt500-brembo-brake-kit.html

and you can find the calipers FS on various sites, and ebay
But like someone said... good pads start getting more expensive too. I think DTC 70's are around $300 a set

thanks for the link. What I still don't get is why I need spacers.
So the kit on the link is proven to fit stock GT500 wheels which have a 45mm offset if used with 19mm spacers.
My Wedsports have an offset of 20mm shouldn't this be enough clearance for the calipers or am I doing the math wrongly?

darreng505

Established Member
I doubt 20mm is enough. But that's just my quick hunch. Ask the vendor or inquire at brembo to get a stencil (a PDF file you print) of the caliper offset. You use this to check clearance in your wheel.

SnakeBitten07

Established Member
thanks for the link. What I still don't get is why I need spacers.

Ana, I stumbled upon this while researching less expensive big brake options, as I plan to open track in the future. The reason for the spacers is because the caliper adapter that FTR makes pushed the caliper out by the spacer width, i.e. adapter mounts to outside of spindle, and caliper mounts to outside of adapter - make sense?

I'll just need to catch a deal on a used Cobra R kit soon, it seems.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
good luck with finding a Cobra R kit, I got very lucky and got a new set of Cobra R calipers, they are actually on the way to me now! The whole spacer thing just wasn't going to work for me.

SnakeBitten07

Established Member
good luck with finding a Cobra R kit, I got very lucky and got a new set of Cobra R calipers, they are actually on the way to me now! The whole spacer thing just wasn't going to work for me.

Yea, they'll pop up every now and then. Are you currently running GT calipers? What's your experience with those (aside from upgrading to Cobra R's!)?I'm trying to find information on how well the Cobra aluminum PBR calipers do with a good set of pads in open track conditions.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I have not run the GT calipers for long and upgraded to the Cobra brakes. I had the Cobra PBRs for 10 years now and have run them with Hawk HPS pads which weren't any better then stock and with Hawk HP+ pads which is what I have used the past 5 years.
I have done 1 open track event a while back with them and two laps on the Nürburgring without any issues at all. I do drive on the German Autobahn every weekend in summer and that involves lots of high speed braking because of traffic and the brakes always worked well for me.
It seems that now after 10 years the calipers are just used up, they lock up while braking hard so I took the opportunity to upgrade.

oh and talking Cobra Rs, they came in today! IMG_0529.JPG

SnakeBitten07

Established Member
I have not run the GT calipers for long and upgraded to the Cobra brakes. I had the Cobra PBRs for 10 years now and have run them with Hawk HPS pads which weren't any better then stock and with Hawk HP+ pads which is what I have used the past 5 years.
I have done 1 open track event a while back with them and two laps on the Nürburgring without any issues at all. I do drive on the German Autobahn every weekend in summer and that involves lots of high speed braking because of traffic and the brakes always worked well for me.
It seems that now after 10 years the calipers are just used up, they lock up while braking hard so I took the opportunity to upgrade.

oh and talking Cobra Rs, they came in today! View attachment 62432

Excellent, thanks for the feedback! Oh, and I'm slightly jealous of your new calipers! Enjoy!

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
bringing this back up. I ran the Cobra R brakes with Centric plain rotors and Hawk HP+ pads for one season and I'm very dissapointed in the performance.

If braking hard from high speeds on the Autobahn just a couple of times the brakes start to fade and shake.
I'm assuming that the rotors weren't a great choice, but I needed plain rotors to pass inspection. Also, not sure if the pads are up to the task even though I have used them with the PBRs for years before and liked them, even on the track. I used OEM rotors before.

In May I'm going to the Hockenheimring for a track day and I know the brakes will not work as they are.
What are my options? What rotor will take the abuse of the Hockenheimring and high speed driving on the Autobahn?

and a side question - any idea how to install brake cooling ducts if the holes in the front bumper are used to cool the oil cooler on the driver side?

sorry for the lengthy post, but hope you guys can share your experience and knowledge

thanks
Ana

MFE

Established Member
Here's the bottom line: HAWK HP+ PADS SUCK DONKEY DICK, and nobody who who's ever really used them hard on a Mustang's brakes will tell you otherwise. The brake upgrade people love them though, because everyone who uses them says "man, I have these fancy-pants pads, and my brakes suck, I must need a better brake system" And the brake upgrade people say "sure thing, step right over here and shell out $2500+ for a bigger brake system".

But 98% of the time, the rotors they already have are more than they'll ever need, they just need a pad that doesn't suck. If I had $10 for every person I've seen spend $2500 on a brake problem they could have cured with $200 worth of better pads, I could have retired rich by now. Slap a set of Raybestos ST47's on there and prepare to pray to a new god.

Last edited:

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the info.
From the description those seem to be track pads only? I need something that works on the street to.

Users who are viewing this thread