Front License Plate Laws - Are You Complying?

ToltecWarrior

Banishing Self-Importance
Established Member
In an earlier thread, many photos were submitted of beautiful 2013 Shelby GT500 vehicles. Thanks to those who did so.....a great collage of colors, stripes, wheels, etc.... However, in all of those photos, only 2 or 3 showed vehicles with front license plates. My state requires both front and back plates so I intend to buy one the drill-less frames from TORQJKY. But, I have a question for those who wish to answer: If you live in a state that requires a front license plate, are you purposely "taking a chance" by not mounting one in order to preserve the look of your vehicle? From the photos I have seen, that is my hypothesis......just wondering if it may be true. Looking forward to your answers. Thank you!!!!!!

SVT-COBRA

Established Member
I am from NJ too. I plan on using a no-hole license plate bracket. I figure the car will draw enough attention, I won't need another reason to get pulled over.

cbrmuscle

Established Member
I will flat out never have a front license plate on my vehicle. It is required by law in my province and I will just eat the fine if it comes down to it. To me, I'll spend $1,000 in fines over the years, if need be, to preserve the front of my vehicle.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
No front plate here..ticketed once. Go thru inspection with it off, they don't say anything.

corey d

STOLE IT
Established Member
I will flat out never have a front license plate on my vehicle. It is required by law in my province and I will just eat the fine if it comes down to it. To me, I'll spend $1,000 in fines over the years, if need be, to preserve the front of my vehicle.

get a ticket, go to friends shop get a "receipt" for front plate install, take to court, get dismissed, call it a day =]
and repeat

No plate, frame is always on order ;)

I like how you guys think. I would do one of these if my state requred a stupid ass front plate.

Last edited:

phil123

Established Member
I am in California where it is required but don't have one. Chances of getting ticket are very small and If I do just part of cost of operation. Have Craig's frame in trunk with plate on and if pulled over will just say nut fell out and getting fixed. Will put it on temporarily to cure fix it ticket then take it off again. Was pulled over once for looking like I was going fast, no ticket, and cop didn't even notice missing plate.

san6279

Established Member
I am in WA and not complying. Have the license plate attached to the Craigs bracket sitting in the passenger footwell just in case. May not get me out of a ticket if pulled over, but am prepared to try.

03reptile

Established Member
Maryland requires one in front. Have not complied since 2007, and have never been stopped. I think the majority of LEO's only use it as a ticketable offense if you're being a horses-ass when stopped for something else or driving in such a manner as to gain their attention.

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
Nope. Not me. Never will..never have done in the past with any of my previous cars (3 mustangs, a viper, and a M5) and my state requires it. What I firmly believe is that LEO will use that as justification to pull you over to look for something else illegal and if I was LEO I much rather get the bad guys off the street with finding guns, drugs, and possible felons....a fix it ticket for no plate for me would be a waste of time. As long as you don't drive immature..cruise like the teenagers at the local strip on the weekends...you will never get pulled over in my opinion. Even then bring the plate with you and let them know you will take care of it...chances are you will still not get a ticket if you are cool with the officer pulling you over.:D

CobRoush-00

Established Member
Chances are you will not get pulled over for not having the front license plates unless you do something stupid that get the attention of Mr. POPO. However, if you leave your car parked in the street without the front plate, you most likely will get a ticket. I installed a flip down bracket on my car and the plate is always hidden underneath the bumper. For the rare occasion I park in the streets, I just flip it up. Otherwise, it stays down. Those plates are hideous.

BigDan

Established Member
CA resident that's never had a front plate since the 90's checking in.

I would NEVER do it to any sort of performance car where designers spent months tweaking it for the perfect look only to be covered up by a stupid front plate.

No thanks.... I will gladly take my $15 fix it ticket.

Same goes for my illegal-
front window tint
exhaust
tread depth
noise from 10w6
headlights
tires not intended for street use
winshield
emission equipment
tires sticking out too far w/o flaps
ect.

you get the idea. All my cars have these and other similar illegal modifications and it doesn't keep me awake at night.

Life is too short for front plates. :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread