Front Mounted Intercooler kit for a 96 Cobra?

97cobratiny

97cobraTiny
Established Member
I recently bought a 96 Cobra with a Vortech on her. I know that Vortech makes the aftercooler for these cars, but I hate the look of the aftercoolers under the hood, so I'm looking for a front mounted kit. I've done some research on the internet and I haven't been able to find a front mounted intercooler kit for my car with that set-up. I've already priced a custom built kit and I'm looking at around $1500. Any of you guys have any ideas? Thanks

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I recently bought a 96 Cobra with a Vortech on her. I know that Vortech makes the aftercooler for these cars, but I hate the look of the aftercoolers under the hood, so I'm looking for a front mounted kit. I've done some research on the internet and I haven't been able to find a front mounted intercooler kit for my car with that set-up. I've already priced a custom built kit and I'm looking at around $1500. Any of you guys have any ideas? Thanks

Treadstone or CXracing are 2 of the more inexpensive kits out there. I went with the CX racing 31x12x4 IC with 3" piping.

-Mark

JustinG60

Terminatorless : (
Established Member
a kit, i'm no help, but the IC's sold by Frozenboost.com are actually decent intercoolers ...and not stupid expensive.

though i am curious why you wouldn't want an air to water system?! i mean... there's a reason why VW stopped making air cooled engines and went to water cooled haha. air to water is more consistent which in turn makes your car easier to tune and the tune all that more stable.

i've built cars with both but when it was all about making serious power it was air to water system hands down. wish i could pull my pictures off of Instagram to show one of the cars i have been building, they don't always look bad under the hood haha

97cobratiny

97cobraTiny
Established Member
Thanks guys for the info.

98 N/A 4V - did you have to modify the CX kit at all to for it to fit a Cobra? In the pics it's set up on a GT and I'm not sure the pipping is the same.

JustinG60 - I love a good looking engine bay. And I've always hated how the Vortech aftercooler looks. Maybe it would be better if It was powdercoated, I'll have to do some research online and see if I can find some pics. The other thing is I'm putting the IC on to help with longevity of the motor, not so much to make huge HP numbers. The car is a 96 Mystic with 47k orgianal miles. So it's more of a cruiser than a track car.

JustinG60

Terminatorless : (
Established Member
yeah, they do look a bit shoe horned in there... i could think of a few ways to do a custom AWIC but at that point the ease of it is gone and the price goes through the roof in comparison to air to air.

good luck with the quest, hopefully you don't find or fab something with too many weld joints in sight so you can have the pipes polished up nicely. i wish i cared about looks a quarter as much as i do about how it goes ...my car would probably be a lot nicer :facepalm: haha

oh yeh, almost forgot, go Dawgs!

Users who are viewing this thread