front runner?

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
I do not run a tube on the front tires. In the rear I run a Hoosier 28x10 stiff sidewall slick with out a tube. I don't remember my air pressure. It isn't really low. It is around 14-15# if I remember correctly. Much lower and the the tire distorts too much. I have been 1.53 to the 60' that way. Still dialing in the suspension.

I do not really drive with the bias ply tires on the street much. I will throw the front runners on to drive to the track. Then I bolt the slicks on the car at the track. Just to save the tires. I am cheap. haha

Am I correct in assuming most people don't run TPMS in their drag wheels? I was on the fence about this and didn't order any because I wasn't sure if they would work with the M&H front runners.

toomnymods

Established Member
What is the proper weld rts rim size and backspace to use on the front of the brembo package mustang gt?

I assumed it was a 17x4.5?? But i called a place today and said a 17x5" wheel was supposed to be used? How are you supposed to get a M&H frontrunner bi-plias tire that is 28x4.5x17 to stretch over a 5" wide wheel?? Is this even safe?

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
Am I correct in assuming most people don't run TPMS in their drag wheels? I was on the fence about this and didn't order any because I wasn't sure if they would work with the M&H front runners.

Problem with tpms in race wheels is your rear tire pressure can be lower than stock so you may set off the alarm anyway. I was on the fence and said **** it as I'd rather not fight to get a tpms in my front wheel.

scotmach

Established Member
I just ordered the Hoosier Pro Street 26x7.5 R17's for my fronts
Those are the ones I run. They run a little smaller than advertised.
I know I've been wondering what those new MT 28x6R17 radial spoelrtsman S/R tires will look like, anyone seen them mounted up on a newer 5.0??
I'm curious as well.

I don't run TPMS in my setup.

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
The M&H website says the section width of the 28/4.5R17 is 6.3" maybe that is how they fit the weld RTS wheels??? The tread with is what's narrow being 4.5", it does recommend a 4" rim but I would think between 4-5" will work??

What is the proper weld rts rim size and backspace to use on the front of the brembo package mustang gt?

I assumed it was a 17x4.5?? But i called a place today and said a 17x5" wheel was supposed to be used? How are you supposed to get a M&H frontrunner bi-plias tire that is 28x4.5x17 to stretch over a 5" wide wheel?? Is this even safe?

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
With what wheels? I have the SVE Drag wheels and the oem lug nuts work fine, However when I bent the factory wheel studs and replaced them with ARP 2.5" studs I had to go with an open style lug which I found on Latemodel Restoration for cheep. Also I was told at the drag strip while going through tech that with Drag Radials or slicks your required to run open lugs so they can see what size your studs are.

Is there a specific lug nut that works better than the stock one?

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
With what wheels? I have the SVE Drag wheels and the oem lug nuts work fine, However when I bent the factory wheel studs and replaced them with ARP 2.5" studs I had to go with an open style lug which I found on Latemodel Restoration for cheep. Also I was told at the drag strip while going through tech that with Drag Radials or slicks your required to run open lugs so they can see what size your studs are.

SVE Drags. I was wondering if it was necessary to install ARP studs. How did you bend your stock studs? Were the stock studs easy to remove when you replaced them?

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
Im not sure if I forgot to torque my wheels enough or if its just from launching with the front drivers tire in the air lol. I have had 1.46/ 60ft times. But I replaced them while I had the axles out while replacing the diff and gears. They needed a flat spot on the flange to clear the abs ring when installing them. That and I think they are slightly oversized on the knurled portion and had to slightly oversize the hole.

SVE Drags. I was wondering if it was necessary to install ARP studs. How did you bend your stock studs? Were the stock studs easy to remove when you replaced them?

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member

I have ARP's on the front because I just wanted to be a bit more cautious. The stocks are easy to take out simple 4lb sledge and a whack or two and out they come.

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
I ordered these lug nuts in hopes that they might compliment the black SVR Drag Wheels that I ordered. I've since found that some people are saying that shank style lug nuts are preferred over acorn style. The problem now is, I don't know which shank style lugs to buy. I would like to find some in black or non chrome. Any ideas on where I can find some that will work with my stock studs for now?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-55012SB/1979-2011-Black-1-2-Spline-Lug-Nut-Kit

Last edited:

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
Well I got my new 28x4.5 R17 M&H bias ply front tires on the car today. They drive on the street as well if not better than the 26" M&H frontrunners I had previously had. Here are some pics before and after.
Screenshot_2013-11-23-18-54-31.png

IMG_20140211_170102156.jpg

Screenshot_2013-11-23-18-54-31.png

IMG_20140211_170126538.jpg

IMG_20140211_162552832.jpg

IMG_20140211_162437328.jpg

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
Lookin' good BlueSmokem. How does the car ride with them? I have the same front runners on order. I will be running them with 28" ET Streets on the rear. I read somewhere that someone with the front runners experienced minor front end shake. Is there any truth to that? What valve stems are you running?

Last edited:

brock04gt

Established Member
The 28s look real good on your car that's what I ended up ordering to but they are on back order suppose to ship out the 24th I'll try and get pics when they come in

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
I had no issues with any vibration at 70mph, rode as good or better than before. If someone had a vibration issue with these tires it was probably due to poor balance job or letting them set for too long and they developed flat spots. As to the valve stems I'm using the the ones latemodel sold with the SVE Drag wheels?

Lookin' good BlueSmokem. How does the car ride with them? I have the same front runners on order. I will be running them with 28" ET Streets on the rear. I read somewhere that someone with the front runners experienced minor front end shake. Is there any truth to that? What valve stems are you running?

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
Well I went to Orlando last night to test my new tires and updated tune and my nitrous solenoid wasn't working so no new PB passes. I will say that the 28" bias ply front tires defiantly have some sway under braking on the big end of the track kinda nerve racking the 1st pass. Should have waited and got 28" radial fronts!!

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
Well I went to Orlando last night to test my new tires and updated tune and my nitrous solenoid wasn't working so no new PB passes. I will say that the 28" bias ply front tires defiantly have some sway under braking on the big end of the track kinda nerve racking the 1st pass. Should have waited and got 28" radial fronts!!

What was your short time and did you pick up more mph than normal with the 28" tires out front and back?

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
I have been running a 28" rear tire for quite some time all I changed was my front tires. Also there was no improvement on any runs previously because my nitrous system wasn't working!!!

What was your short time and did you pick up more mph than normal with the 28" tires out front and back?

Users who are viewing this thread