Front skinnies??

Bobco

Established Member
What front skinnies are people running? Race Star wheels seem to be to most popular choice. 17" or 15" dia rims? I know 17" require no modification to fit but what tires? How much grinding to run the 15"? I want to run the 4.5" wide rim. The tires have to be DOT radials for the Factory Stock class. Fronts have to be a minimum of 4.5 wide.

Thanks,
Bobco

wbt

Banned
15" fronts are going to be more involved.

Racestar's are probably the least expensive/involved outside of the Weld RTS wheels.

To run the 15" Racestar fronts, you will need to move down to the 12.4" front rotors and caliper mounts. Same brakes as the '05-'10 S197 without the track pack in 2010. I haven't noticed any difference in stopping on the street.

That said, I decided to go down the Summit/Jegs generic 5 star rims path. I had to grind all 4 rotors along with the 12.4" fronts.

Details can be found here:
[ame=http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40955]15" Front Race Star Fitment in 2011 GT - WWW.S197FORUM.COM[/ame]

Bobco

Established Member
Thanks, I will probably go with the Race Star 17" in the front. I don't feel like changing the brakes.

Bad Intention,
What size are the Hoosiers you are running? I plan on running Nitto 555R 275/60-15's in the back. The 275/60 are the tallest sidewall tire I can run in Factory Stock. It is either the Nitto 555R, the BFG comp T/A or the BFG G-force T/A. Only three choices. Have never ran any of them. Any input?

Thanks,
Bobco

Bobco

Established Member
WBT,
The rules spec only those three tires. Nothing else. I heard the M/T's are the best drag radial. I was thinking Nitto just cause they pay contingency.

Seem like I will have to run low 11's to be competative. Think it's doable through a 1 5/8 header and 2 3/4 exhaust at 3450 with driver?

Thanks,
Bobco

wbt

Banned
WBT,
The rules spec only those three tires. Nothing else. I heard the M/T's are the best drag radial. I was thinking Nitto just cause they pay contingency.

Seem like I will have to run low 11's to be competative. Think it's doable through a 1 5/8 header and 2 3/4 exhaust at 3450 with driver?

Thanks,
Bobco

Anything is possible....

Looked at the rules and for tires:

5.1a) PERMITTED STREET-TYPE
DOT RADIAL TIRE LIST:
• BFGoodrich Comp T/A Drag Radial
• BFGoodrich G-force T/A Drag Radial
• Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
• Also accepted: any approved radial-construction tire with a D.O.T. tread wear rating of 180 or greater that fits all other criteria and sizing.

I could be wrong but believe the ET Street radials are rated at 200. May need to call MT to check.

Race gas is permitted. C10 is specified.

Faster than a 11.50 will require a roll bar. This will add weight.

It is going to take a very steep gear, aggressive tune, 4500 stall converter, good suspension work, valve job on the heads with special attention on the exhaust side, and a serious diet. You will be adding weight into the car with suspension and roll bar and needs to be considered.

I think it is doable.

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
I could be wrong but believe the ET Street radials are rated at 200. May need to call MT to check.

That's a big negative..... they are rated 0 on the treadwear,lol. Seriously...I have them on two of my mustangs right now.

Bobco

Established Member
That's what I saw online. Thought someone was just being goofy cause they wear out so fast. lol

Do you think the Welds are lighter then the Race Stars?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
if you could live with a little weight, you could look at the drag pack wheels from true forged or CCW.

Users who are viewing this thread