Front strut tower brace

akaeric

Established Member
WHo makes the better strut bar and the easiest installation. I'm looking for one the will just bolt to the shock bolts instead of have to make new holes. I have one but I have to drill all the bolt holes and I guess pull the weather guard to get under the fender to tighting the bolts. I would like to find one that uses the shock tower bolts instead of having to drill new holes which I just don't like drilling holes in my new Cobra. So is there such a strut tower Brace

FKing1

Established Member
Just my opinion, but, if going with a strut tower brace, get a 3 point one. The 2 point allows for side to side movement and the 3 inhibits this. Only 3 point I have found is Kenny Brown and mine is on order.Of course one must drill holes for 3 pt.
Fred K.

mnypit

Established Member
Originally posted by Corner-Carver
Don't waste your money on a STB. Just get a K-member brace and be done with it.;-)

How does a K-member keep the top of the strut towers from moving around under high loading???

Steve

akaeric

Established Member
If I understand this product Cobra Strut Tower Brace (29501B better dosen't just mount to the strut tower and then to th fire wall which would be easier if it uses the strut bolts allready there is that whats it means? This page needs to explain its products better. I 'm not looking for a road racer just one to tighting the fronts flex a little better. some of these look like serious equipment and I assume it fits over the SC. All I have is one of those single bars that goes over the SC to the strut tower but I don't understand why the couldn't just make it use the strut bar bolts instead of having to make new holes. The product Cobra Strut Tower Brace (29501B looks like thats what it does except the firewall.
The AGS Tubular Front K-member is $700.00 bucks a little more than I want to pay.

Last edited:

Levi

Established Member
The 4 point lower chassis brace ties the control arm mounting points on the k-member to the front sub frame for a more rigid front end and improved handling.
picserve.cgi

Ties strut towers together and fixes to the firewall for a more rigid front end to improve handling
picserve.cgi

The AGS tubular front k-member improves the geometry, adds rigidity and improves overall handling and performance.
picserve.cgi
This is a replacement part for the stock K-Member. See pic below.

The Kenny Brown Design Advanced Geometry™ Front K-Member reduces weight and increases stiffness over the factory front k-member.
picserve.cgi

Levi

Established Member
Originally posted by akaeric
Does the secound strut uses the strut bolts that are already there?

Yes, If you already have the four bolt cc plates. If not you will have to drill the fourth hole. The part that fits up to the firewall will need to be drilled and bolts installed.

mnypit

Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
unless there's a coil-over installation, there are no spring loads in the top of the strut towers. the spring load is taken by the k-member.

You are talking about vertical loading. The strut brace has nothing to do with spring loading.

I am talking about lateral loading. That is what the strut brace is for, to prevent lateral movement of the strut towers during high lateral loading from cornering/braking. With out the brace, the towers will move, changing the caster and camber of the wheel. The brace helps prevent, at least minimize, these caster/camber changes that will occur during high cornering/braking forces. It's all about minimizing flex.

Steve

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
please explain where this force comes from to load laterally. the spring holds the car up. the strut merely dampens the oscillations of the spring. you are saying there's enough load caused by the damping action of the strut to flex the strut towers. i disagree when there is no coil-over setup since the loading is borne by the k-member.

Originally posted by mnypit
You are talking about vertical loading. The strut brace has nothing to do with spring loading.

I am talking about lateral loading. That is what the strut brace is for, to prevent lateral movement of the strut towers during high lateral loading from cornering/braking. With out the brace, the towers will move, changing the caster and camber of the wheel. The brace helps prevent, at least minimize, these caster/camber changes that will occur during high cornering/braking forces. It's all about minimizing flex.

Steve

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
The k-member brace stops the "flexing" that the STB sees, albeit a very small flexing that comes from the k-member twisting. Look at the k-member and then one with brace on it. You can see how it becomes triangulated with the addition of the brace. Add to the fact that most STB's tie into the weakest point of the firewall (the middle), they become more of a BLING BLING mod than anything.

akaeric

Established Member
Well I just ordered the brace that mounts to the firewall. Thats about as heavy work I can do in my garage. I wish I had the equipment to do under carriage work. I have some diff. bushings how hard are they to install all i have is a real good jack and stands. DO I need a lift to do that? Just wondering I have a friend that owns a shop I will have to pay for the labor but I think they are right wheel hope is alot less on my 2004 than my 2003 which hoped bad.

THE FLASH

"Mr. Sulu, Warp factor 3"
Established Member
I agree with Corner-Carver. I had an 01 vert with the KB STB. I thought it made a difference. When I got rid of the car, I took it off along with everthing else. I could not tell a difference. Just mostly Bling bling and extra weight. IMO, a good set of sub frame connecters would help more, especially with a vert. The global west are really nice, as well as maximum motor sports. Just my .02

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
Originally posted by akaeric
Well I just ordered the brace that mounts to the firewall. Thats about as heavy work I can do in my garage. I wish I had the equipment to do under carriage work. I have some diff. bushings how hard are they to install all i have is a real good jack and stands. DO I need a lift to do that? Just wondering I have a friend that owns a shop I will have to pay for the labor but I think they are right wheel hope is alot less on my 2004 than my 2003 which hoped bad.

If you can put a STB on, you can put a k-member brace on. It's only four bolts.;-) All that is required it to be able to get under the car to bolt it up. :)

That being said, I need to order one for my Cobra as well as might "stiff as aluminum foil" '89 vert.:D

mnypit

Established Member
The k-member does absolutely nothing to prevent the TOP of the strut towers from moving around under high lateral (side to side) loading (high speed, high g turning). Driving around town on the street, you will benefit very little from a strut tower brace, might help a tad with cowl shake, but that's it. It only does its job under high load conditions (the road race track) and prevents the TOP of the strut towers from moving. Trust me, the top of the strut towers move around more than you think. In order to get the suspension to do its job consistantly, you must triangulate/reinforce all points of attachment. The top of the strut is a point of attachment same as the lower control arm pivot points. Its all about minimizing flex of the chassis where the suspension attaches to it.

Users who are viewing this thread